Black box to Tonemaster Twin?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Larry Dering

Black box to Tonemaster Twin?

Post by Larry Dering »

Anyone using a Sarno black box to a Tonemaster Twin? I discovered some sweet tone using a Peavey Raxx tube preamp to the front of the Tonemaster twin and wondering if the black box might give the same results. I don't have a black box to try. The Peavey TG Raxx is a rack mount preamp and not as portable.
Jeremy King

Post by Jeremy King »

I use a freeloader with my tonemaster twin and it sounds incredible... Really sweetens the sound. I image the Black Box adds a little more warmth than the freeloader. Can't go wrong with either.
George Macdonald

Tonemaster twin

Post by George Macdonald »

I use a Black Box here at home with my Tonemaster Twin and a Freeloader when I have played out. Both work well with the terrific amp.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Thanks guys. For me just a Goodrich 7a buffer didn't help but when I added the Peavey preamp and a Alesis midiverb before the amp it came alive. I have so many gadgets already that I'm hesitant to buy more. I considered the Freeloader instead of the Goodrich, but I have a couple 7a and 6a buffers that work well.
Jerry Van Hoose

Post by Jerry Van Hoose »

I have a Goodrich Baby Bloomer between my Sho~Bud volume pedal and Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, gives it a little boost and ever so slight chorus effect. Baby Bloomer switch in middle position and knob between 12 & 2 o’clock. I don’t use any other effect with this setup besides onboard reverb at about #4.
Ken Metcalf

Post by Ken Metcalf »

Yes for Black Box to ToneMaster Twin.
https://sanantoniosteelguitarassoc.com/
MSA 12 String E9th/B6th Universal
Little Walter PF-89.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Thanks again fellas. Do you feel like it sweetens the tone? I was all over the map trying every imaginable setting and outboard gear until I hit on the tube preamp. What a difference it made. Also the additional reverb and delay was icing on the cake.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

I use a Black Box in front of my 'Tonemaster Twin' (and with my Quilter 'TT-12' as well) and it does make a decided difference with both amps.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

The Black Box IS Magic. The Freeloader is a great choice especially if you are using a tube amplifier. I personally for just MYSELF, and ONLY ME and ONLY in MY setup, Didn't get the Baby Bloomer to pull it's weight as a good buffer. It gave a lite chorus effect I 's'pose if you're looking for that which You're not. I found what works for ME: #1 Sarno Black Box
#2 Sarno Free Loader
#3 MESA Boogie-The "High Wire Dual Buffer & Output Boost" or The "Stowaway" & add the "Clearlink Reciever"

Any of the MESA Boogie buffers I mentioned above are also fine units, just a bit pricey (you git what ya pay for), but the MESA Boogie are about the only other buffers i will personally recommend AFTER the Sarno Musical Solution Buffers hope it helps.

With that being said, a funny thing that I found, all my effect units have either "True By Pass" or a "Buffered By Pass" all are dead silent. Unlike the old effect pedals I had as a young, long haired, skinny, boozing, or doing whatever, rock guitar player. I just like every other young rock guitarist back then, i was chasing the Jimi Hendrix sound. But those early units sounded incredible. Unlike some of the digital effects today. I still love my older noisy effect units I have put on display in my music room. Such as my old original Arbiter Fuzz Face, my older Electro Harmonix units & Maestro Fuzz, and Boomerang Wah pedal just to mention A few. A good buffer like the Steel Guitar Black Box/FreeLoader, still helps tame your cable runs, noisy introduced cheaper tuners, even noisy rack gear. Gotta have my Buffer/Booster/Gates, and my Universal Audio "OX Box"

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/search ... l+audio+ox

Gotta Git Ya Hear....bye
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Well I purchased a black box from a forum member and hope to have it next week. I will post my results with the Tonemaster Twin and my Telonics tca 500. Hoping for a good improvement in tone.
Larry Beem

BB before TM

Post by Larry Beem »

I run a BB then, wet reverb, then Baby Bloomer. Its fantastic!!
Williams 700 series D10 8 and 5,
Rittenberry Prestige SD10 4 and 5
Stereo Steel, NV400, Fender Twin Tone Master, Sarno BB, Lil Izzy's, Goodrich Matchbox......on and on ......
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Thanks Larry. The Bloomer may be in my near future.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Got the Black box yesterday and put it to the test today. Had my son who is a professional musician as an observer. We both agree that the Black box adds a marked improvement in tone on both amps tried. I feel that it broadens the midrange and softened the highs making the overall tone sweeter and more developed. I'm very happy with the results. Now I will fabricate a bracket to attach to my steel legs.
Richard Alderson

Post by Richard Alderson »

I use Black Box with TCA 500 and I love it. Now that's not an objective opinion because I never heard my TCA without BB, but after seeing how much the Black Box improved my Peavey amps and smoothed them out, I will plug the BB into any amp that's not a tube amp first and I will ask questions later.
Derby SD-10 5x6; GFI S-10 5x5; GFI S-10 5x5; Zum D-10 8x7; Zum D-10 9x9; Fender 400; Fender Rumble 200; Nashville 400; Telonics TCA-500.
Tommy Boswell

Post by Tommy Boswell »

Larry Dering wrote:Now I will fabricate a bracket to attach to my steel legs.
I tried that one time and got interference because the Black Box was too close to the pickup. I think it might have been a single coil pickup. Just FYI.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I don't find any interference but I mounted it about 13 inches below the pickup. I feel it adds a nice dimension to the notes and smoothes the higher pitch. It's much simpler and smaller than the Peavey rack preamp I have.
Tommy Boswell

Post by Tommy Boswell »

Agree about the Black Box. Mine hangs on the pack seat or lies on the floor.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Tommy, I considered hanging it on the seat and I may do that in the future. I prefer my cables away from my feet and the seat hanging is a problem for that. I need it to my right side. Shoot a picture of your bracket if you get a chance. I would make it a drop over the lip bracket rather than fastened.
Brooks Montgomery

Post by Brooks Montgomery »

Here’s my hay-seed Twin Tonemaster technology for the Black Box and my other pedals. They are at the ready with my right hand, and the little pedal board and black box and cables go in the crate for carrying.

A banjo, like a pet monkey, seems like a good idea at first.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Not bad for a quick fix. 👍