Dick Meis

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

John Bresler

Dick Meis

Post by John Bresler »

Just found out my friend Dick Meis passed yesterday. Prayers to the family and especially Lois. Dick was a grest steel & Tele player. He will be missed here in the Denver area.Dick & Lois played at my wife our wedding 3 years ago.
Ken Pippus

Post by Ken Pippus »

Just a great guy. Sorry to hear of his passing.

He had a good run.
Junior Knight

Post by Junior Knight »

Oh no…RIP my brother..
2006 Msa S-12 “milly” 8 & 5

. Peavey Nashville 1-12 Tommy Huff speaker cabs. Goodrich pedals & matchbro.Steeler Choice seats.. that is all..(for now) lol

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar
Bob Bales

Post by Bob Bales »

you will be missed greatly. RIP my friend.
G Strout

Post by G Strout »

Sorry to hear this. Dick was a great guy :(
Melbert 8, Remington S8,Remington D8, Rick B6, Tremblay 6 lap steel, Marlen S-10 4&4, Old Guild M75 and Artist Award, Benedetto Bravo, Epiphone Century Electar (the real one) and a bunch of old lap steels.... mostly Ricks and Magnatones'
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Sad news , Dick was a great guy and a great player/ teacher. He had a lot of material available. Always so pleasant to talk to.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Chuck S. Lettes

Post by Chuck S. Lettes »

My condolences to Lois and the family. I always enjoyed Dick's music and his humor. The steel guitar community has lost one of the greats.
Chuck
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

For many years Dick was the Dean of the Colorado steel community and the go-to guy for all things PSG-teaching, playing, referrals, hosting the Denver Steel Guitar Show, you name it. A true friend of music, and a lot of folks will miss him for a long time. :cry:
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Dick Meis was a mainstay for years in The Rick Alexander Non Pedal Room at the Dallas shows seamlessly switching between triple 8 and strat ......he was a very nice & personable gentleman and so was his wife Lois....it was a pleasure and an honor to work with them.....RIP
Last edited by HowardR on 22 Jan 2022 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jamie Howze

Post by Jamie Howze »

Dick was largely responsible for my second attempt at pedal steel being more successful than my first. The club he founded and the Denver shows he and Lois organized introduced me to many front range steelers and their music.

He was a wonderful musician and entertainer. He played pedal steel with a flatpick often while wearing his Stratocaster. He could switch back and forth and play either with equal aplomb and humor.
Thank you. RIP Mr. Meis
rick andrews

Post by rick andrews »

This is sad. I was thinking about him the other day. Dick was a good guy. RIP.
Marlin Gengenbach

Dick

Post by Marlin Gengenbach »

Dick was one of the most talented steel and guitar players of all time...and so laid back and unpretentious...a sincerely loveable and admirable person, as is Lois and her family. I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit with him at last year's Denver show where he was presented with a very deserving special award. He will be sorely missed!
John Bresler

Post by John Bresler »

Here's a link to Dicks obituary where you can leave comments and pictures about memmories.
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituar ... s-10542856
Richard E. Lee

RIP Dick Meis

Post by Richard E. Lee »

It's sad to hear of Dick's passing. He was a special,friend and talented musician. I remember my lessons with Dick and Lois and their special hospitality they both extended me and my family when we'd travel to Denver. RIP..my friend.
Bob Case

Post by Bob Case »

Dick gave me my first steel guitar lesson. He was an incredible talent and one of the kindest, most gentle people I have ever met. RIP Dick
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I'm sorry to hear this. Dick was definitely a great player and teacher. Another good one gone home. My prayers and condolences to his family friends.
Roger Hand

dick meis

Post by Roger Hand »

sorry to hear this. sold him my LDG short time ago. RIP
Joel Martin

Post by Joel Martin »

Oh such sad news, really enjoyed hanging out with him at an ISGC
1968 ZB D11
1965 Vibrolux Reverb
Jim R. Harrison

Post by Jim R. Harrison »

Here's a photo I took of Dick a few years ago at the TSGA Jamboree. I was very pleased that he agreed to 'pose' for me with his lead & steel guitar!

R.I.P. Dick!
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Dick was a flat out wonderful human with a great sense of humor, too. So glad I got to visit with him this summer at the Denver Steel Show and see him get the inaugural Rusty Young award. Rest easy, pal.
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Lee Gillespie

dick meis

Post by Lee Gillespie »

WOW .. Just read about Dick. He and I go way back to when we both worked and taught at Cross Music Centre here in Cheyenne. Always a mellow PERSON. My best wishes to Lois.Its tough losing a mate as I lost mine of almost 70 years on Dec 14, 2019. REST IN PEACE OLD FRIEND. Lee
Taylor Faulring

Dick Meis

Post by Taylor Faulring »

This is truly heartbreaking, Dick sold me my first pedal steel guitar in 2011, it was a carter starter 3x4 and he was just the nicest guy in helping me start my journey into the wonderful world of the Pedal Steel. God Rest his soul and prayers for his wife.

-Taylor
Nick Reed

Post by Nick Reed »

Met Dick many years ago at the St. Louis Convention. I think he had a booth there and sold teaching materials.