Exploring MIDI, looping etc

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mike Neer

Exploring MIDI, looping etc

Post by Mike Neer »

This is what I’ve been up to recently and probably the path that I am going to stay on for a while, as I am feeling a rejuvenation and new excitement like I first felt when I started playing the instrument seriously. Many of my favorite musicians went down this road and, admittedly, while it wasn’t always my favorite, after the passage of time, it became some of my favorite music. I’m talking about Michael Brecker, Allan Holdsworth, Pat Metheny and others. So, in that spirit, he is a sample of some of the first stuff I’ve messed around with.

The path to get here has been brewing for along time in my head and after many hours of reading and $$$ spent, here I am. These are improvisations, especially the first clip which had no preconception.
https://youtu.be/sczYJR-jaGg
John Burton

Post by John Burton »

I liked the first few minutes the most. Really reminded me of some of Brian Eno's stuff.
I'm a big Eno fan. Love his ambient stuff.

I used to play a bit with a looper (EHX 1440) midi sync'd with Korg Volca's or sometimes just play along with Korg Volca's.

Definitely gets creative juices flowing.

Keep at at it! Your inspiring me to get back to that stuff.
Bruce Roger

Re: Exploring MIDI, looping etc

Post by Bruce Roger »

Mike Neer wrote:This is what I’ve been up to recently and probably the path that I am going to stay on for a while, as I am feeling a rejuvenation and new excitement like I first felt when I started playing the instrument seriously. Many of my favorite musicians went down this road and, admittedly, while it wasn’t always my favorite, after the passage of time, it became some of my favorite music. I’m talking about Michael Brecker, Allan Holdsworth, Pat Metheny and others. So, in that spirit, he is a sample of some of the first stuff I’ve messed around with.

The path to get here has been brewing for along time in my head and after many hours of reading and $$$ spent, here I am. These are improvisations, especially the first clip which had no preconception.
https://youtu.be/sczYJR-jaGg
What are you using for the organ sound? I bought a Lex and wonder about the settings.

BTW, I bought both of your CDs and really like them.
David Irving

Post by David Irving »

That's really interesting stuff. The first bit sound a little bit like some Bartok I have.
Mark Mansueto

Post by Mark Mansueto »

I would never guess this to be lap steel if I hadn't watched the video. This is very cool and I'm glad you shared it. I use a MIDI keyboard but never even considered using lap steel to trigger MIDI.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Very nice use of synthesized lap steel. What's your tuning? I think it sounds great!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Tal Herbsman

Post by Tal Herbsman »

This is great Mike. Can you give some details about your set up? What midi pick up did you choose? What synth are you using?