Technical question for the experts

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rich Upright

Technical question for the experts

Post by Rich Upright »

I have decided change string gauge from an .11 for my G# to a .12, and just strung up my D-10 LeGrande with the .12.

When I tuned up to pitch, I didn't hafta adjust the pedal stop for the heavier string; it was in perfect tune. But...

When tuned to G#, the .12 gauge seems like it's under a lot more tension than the .11 (naturally), and I can't believe it makes the G# > A change without breaking. It is the sound I was after, but my fear is the extra tension of the .12 VS the .11 will put too much pull force on the changer ball pin & break it off.

Anybody else use a .12 on an Emmons style (pin) changer with success? Anybody break or bend the pin on the changer? What about string breakage? I have broken a G# only ONCE in 20 years; would like to keep that record! Thanks in advance for your replies.
A couple D-10s,some vintage guitars & amps, & lotsa junk in the gig bag.
Audie Shields

012 on Emmons

Post by Audie Shields »

You won’t have any problems with the 012 gauge. I have been using it for years with no problems at all. I use it on my Legrand and pushpull.
Dale Rottacker

Post by Dale Rottacker »

When I was playing a Mullen a few years ago... they had the pins on the changer like the Emmon's... I used 12's with those pins and never had an issue... plus the 12's both sound better and feel better on your picks.
Dale Rottacker, Steelinatune™
*2021 MSA Legend, "Jolly Rancher" D10 10x9
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
Kelcey ONeil

Post by Kelcey ONeil »

No need to fear at all, the change in tension is negligible. Also, the sixth and seventh strings have the highest tension by far, much more than any gauge 3rd string would have.
Co-owner and operator: Emmons Guitar Co.
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

I checked a string tension calculator, using 24" scale. It's probably adding 5 lbs. extra tension which really doesn't seem like much.
.011 G# = 27.61 lbs → A = 30.98 lbs.
.012 G# = 32.78 lbs → A = 36.78 lbs.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Rich, they do sell .015's (11 and one half's)👍 Just go to the top of this page and push STRINGS.
BTW. How's your timing? Do 6 and 3 engage and get to the A at the same time? RP
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Ron Pruter wrote:Rich, they do sell .015's (11 and one half's)👍 Just go to the top of this page and push STRINGS.
BTW. How's your timing? Do 6 and 3 engage and get to the A at the same time? RP
Those are actually .0115's. .015 is fifteen thousandths. There more suited for the second string and would explode on the third string.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Ron Pruter

Post by Ron Pruter »

Of course, your right Richard. I caught it from Rich, the OP. Where's my proof reader? BTW Rich, I lov your Gov. Thx
Emmons SKH Le Grande, '73 P/J bass, Tick tack bass, Regal high strung, and a Coral Sitar, USA Nashville 112.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Tommy Mc wrote:I checked a string tension calculator, using 24" scale. It's probably adding 5 lbs. extra tension which really doesn't seem like much.
.011 G# = 27.61 lbs → A = 30.98 lbs.
.012 G# = 32.78 lbs → A = 36.78 lbs.
That's over 5 lbs. more, about an 18% change - significant, but not catastrophic. You just have to make doubly sure that the ball is all the way on the pin when you install the string!

And...if I were designing a guitar with the "pin" string holders, I'd have two pins on every finger so that your customer wouldn't be totally screwed if one broke on a gig. The extra few minutes and few dollars it would cost in manufacturing would be well worth it, even if only for the "bragging rights" vs. other brands. 8)

But then again, most players only notice the shiny alunium and purty wood.
Steve Sycamore

Post by Steve Sycamore »

From my experience the 2 factors most likely to cause a string breakage are the surface imperfections of the contact surfaces (such as the rollers) and the compounds used in the steel of the string.

It might be possible to reduce the surface imperfections by carefully polishing the surfaces where string contact is made. I think I tried that once and it did seem to help. The compounds in the steel will certainly vary between manufacturers and very likely by any single manufacturer depending on their receipt of the raw materials. But you can shop around and try different brands (especially swapping strings produced in different countries).