How much would you pay for...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jack Hanson

How much would you pay for...

Post by Jack Hanson »

...a nice, original 1935 cast aluminum Gibson E-150?
Joe A. Roberts

Re: How much would you pay for...

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

Jack Hanson wrote:...a nice, original 1935 cast aluminum Gibson E-150?
Well, not $5999.00 plus shipping!
Anthony Blair

Post by Anthony Blair »

I purchased this one for $760.00 on Ebay last year, but had to revive it from flood damage (oxidation cleanup & electronic rework - maybe $30 + my time).

Glenn Wilde

Post by Glenn Wilde »

My Lapsteel limit is 1k for a single neck, i know there are one's more valuable than that but i don't even consider them.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Lap steel players are often spoiled from decades of picking up fine vintage instruments for a few hundred dollars. Imagine finding an early Tele, Strat, Les Paul, ES-335, or (fill-in-the-blank vintage premium electric Spanish guitar) for six grand. Lotsa folks would be crawling all over each other with cash in hand for that opportunity.

Remedial Econ 101 -- supply & demand.
Joe A. Roberts

Post by Joe A. Roberts »

Jack Hanson wrote:Lap steel players are often spoiled from decades of picking up fine vintage instruments for a few hundred dollars. Imagine finding an early Tele, Strat, Les Paul, ES-335, or (fill-in-the-blank vintage premium electric Spanish guitar) for six grand. Lotsa folks would be crawling all over each other with cash in hand for that opportunity.

Remedial Econ 101 -- supply & demand.
Well hey, it is the starting bid that is 6k. For all we know, the reserve price could be more inline with those fill-in-the-blank vintage prices! :lol: :lol:
Ryan Lunenfeld

Post by Ryan Lunenfeld »

prolly like 1000? I've been looking for one for a while, but the prices I've seen them at, no one seems to pay them. There was one for $2500 on ebay for a long time that no one bit at. They seem awesome though :D
Don Daringer

Post by Don Daringer »

There are some outrageous asking prices and they mostly don't sell but sit. I look at it this way. The price of well known guitars from the 30's to the 50's is much more than the well known laps steels from the same era. The lap steel models on LP's, CD's and in concert that turn me on are attainable if you've got the will to deal with an older instrument and the $$. There are deals out there, I think I just got one. Now if we could just get the Tweed amp prices to take a breather.
Some where between major and minor

Pre, wartime and post-war time Rickenbacher B6's, 48' National Dynamic and a Scheerhorn.
Marc Bell

Post by Marc Bell »

I'd take it for $3000 if it was all orig and in decent nick.
I bought a couple others in the past, an original one with case but an extra hole drilled in it for $2,000 and just a body for $900. No regrets!
As well as being a historically significant instrument from possibly the world's most collectible manufacturer, it is a great feeling and sounding steel. Plus it's one super heavy little guitar - a lot of lbs for your $
Jack Hanson

Re: How much would you pay for...

Post by Jack Hanson »

Joe A. Roberts wrote:Well, not $5999.00 plus shipping!
I wouldn't either, but it appears that someone did.
Michael Greer

Post by Michael Greer »

Hey Jack

I have only seen a couple for sale in the last 10 years.

I am particularly fond of cast lap steels and would like to have a Gibson cast lap some day.

Only problem is the 2 or 3 I have seen available were in the 3k to 5k range......way more $$ than this farmboy can spend on a lap steel.

As you know from "the book" there were approx 115 cast guitars made in 1935 to 1937 .

We can only wonder how many have survived and are sitting in someone's closet or basement.
The hunt continues my friend.
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Fortunately for the instrument, and unfortunately for musicians,lap steel seem to be making a bit of a comeback. It’s all about supply and demand. Demand for vintage instruments is going up. Supply is shrinking.
Current Tunings:
6 String | D – D A D F# A D
7 String | D/f – f D A D F# A D
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database
Marc Bell

Post by Marc Bell »

Well there is a happy ending to this topic. Somebody did buy the guitar, looks like for the asking $5,999 !! Worth every cent IMO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274898896092?h ... SwQE9g4iAB
Allan Revich

Post by Allan Revich »

Marc Bell wrote:Well there is a happy ending to this topic. Somebody did buy the guitar, looks like for the asking $5,999 !! Worth every cent IMO

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274898896092?h ... SwQE9g4iAB
I’m glad that it is making someone happy now. It was obviously worth the asking price to whoever bought it.

I find these “way overpriced” threads kind of silly. I figured out a totally ingenious solution to dealing with instrument prices that are much higher than I’m prepared to pay…

I don’t buy the instrument. Brilliant, eh?