Bobby Flores - Just For The Record. Who played?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ben Thomas

Bobby Flores - Just For The Record. Who played?

Post by Ben Thomas »

I love Bobby Flores' Just for the Record album, and it's chock full of great steel playing. I have the digital version though and I have no idea who plays steel on what songs, other than that Dicky Overbey plays on "Soft Rain". Can anyone share the steel player for each track?

Thanks!
Tore Blestrud

Post by Tore Blestrud »

Some info here, but not who played on whitch track. Randy Reinhard probably on quite a few - a favourite of mine.
http://yellowroserecords.com/bobby-flores.html
Emmons D-10 P/P 78", Franklin D-10, Zum Encore. Sho-Bud LDG
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Tore Blestrud wrote:Some info here, but not who played on whitch track. Randy Reinhard probably on quite a few - a favourite of mine.
http://yellowroserecords.com/bobby-flores.html
Thank you, Tore! I happened upon that site before and found a list of players, but like you said not by track. I'm truly most interested in finding out who played steel on the title track "Just for the Record", as there are several licks and the steel tone that I am blown away by.
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

I’m guilty of “I’ll Fight The World” for sure. And pretty sure I did “I Lie A Lot”.
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

The pedal steel credits are as follows:
Randy Reinhard - Just For The Record / Bubbles in My Beer /The Same Two Lips / Your Old Love Letters / I'm Still Not Over You / Oh Lonesome Me

Tommy Detamore - I'd Fight The World

Rick Price - One More Time

Bobby Flores - Spicher Waltz

Gary Carpenter - I Don't Know Why

Herb Steiner - I'll Find a Way

Jim Loessberg - I Lie a Lot

Jerry Blanton - So Be a Good Girl

Dickie Overby - Soft Rain

Now Tommy you owe Jim Loessberg an apology ...well according to the liner notes. :)
Ben Lawson

Post by Ben Lawson »

Bobby Flores is a fine steel player himself. He's on the Johnny Bush's CD on "When it's your turn to fall". It took me more than a few tries to learn how he did the steel break in the middle.
Jeff Garden

Post by Jeff Garden »

Bill Miller wrote:
Now Tommy you owe Jim Loessberg an apology ...well according to the liner notes. :)
Tommy was completely honest, Bill - he told you he lies a lot!
Bill Miller

Post by Bill Miller »

Tommy was completely honest, Bill - he told you he lies a lot!

Well there you go Jeff! One thing I know is that Tommy COULD have played it even if Jim stepped up that time. I said once that pedal steel must be part of the school curriculum in
Texas, judging by the number of amazing players there. But Tommy said he couldn't tell for sure because he hails from Virginia.
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

This answers my question. Thanks so much guys for the help and info! I need to check out all the players in more detail, as I love every second of steel from them all on this great album. Tommy, you sound amazing!
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

That whole album is an education in PSG!!!!! (and REAL country music,,,Texas style!!!)
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Tommy Detamore wrote:I’m guilty of “I’ll Fight The World” for sure. And pretty sure I did “I Lie A Lot”.
Tommy, can you share what steel, pickup and amp you used for “I’d Fight the World”? Your tone is incredible! Not to mention your fantastic note choice and phrasing. Thanks!
Tommy Detamore

Post by Tommy Detamore »

Ben Thomas wrote:
Tommy Detamore wrote:I’m guilty of “I’ll Fight The World” for sure. And pretty sure I did “I Lie A Lot”.
Tommy, can you share what steel, pickup and amp you used for “I’d Fight the World”? Your tone is incredible! Not to mention your fantastic note choice and phrasing. Thanks!
Thanks Ben! I know it was a Zum, not sure of the pickup. Maybe a Lawrence XR-16 (?). Dag Wolf might know. I sold that guitar to him. I was most likely using a Roland GP-100 recording direct. I tried to get a little bit of “hair” on the sound to approximate the slight distortion you hear sometimes on the steel in those original recordings from the ‘60’s.

I tried to emulate what Buddy Emmons did on the original Ray Price recording. I felt like there was nothing I could come up with on my own that could be any better. So as a tribute to him for the most part I copied what he did as best I could.
Tommy Detamore
Quilter Labs, Goodrich Sound, Source Audio, Neunaber Audio, and Stringjoy Authorized Dealer

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Tommy Detamore wrote:
Ben Thomas wrote:
Thanks Ben! I know it was a Zum, not sure of the pickup. Maybe a Lawrence XR-16 (?). Dag Wolf might know. I sold that guitar to him. I was most likely using a Roland GP-100 recording direct. I tried to get a little bit of “hair” on the sound to approximate the slight distortion you hear sometimes on the steel in those original recordings from the ‘60’s.

I tried to emulate what Buddy Emmons did on the original Ray Price recording. I felt like there was nothing I could come up with on my own that could be any better. So as a tribute to him for the most part I copied what he did as best I could.
Thanks so much for the info! You nailed the song, to be sure. It’s one of my favorites on that great album.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

ts a really fine CD and collection of songs ! Each of the Steel players are causing me to practice more ! :lol:
Emmons L-II , Fender Telecasters, B-Benders
Pro Tools 8 and Pro Tools 12
jobless- but not homeless- now retired 8 years

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website