BL pickups for Legrande 2 1994

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bart Vervaeck

BL pickups for Legrande 2 1994

Post by Bart Vervaeck »

Hi all,

Is it true that some Bill Lawrence 705 are too big/too high to mount on an Emmons LL2? I was told that the space between PU and strings is too little with BL 705's causing the strings to get out of tune because of the magnetics of the PU.. If that is true, how could it be solved?

Thanks!
John Swain

Post by John Swain »

I may be wrong, but I think that problem is only with the Legrande lll. 710s fit in my 93 Legrande
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Bart,
The legrand III’s with the counterforce have an issue with pickups not fitting. I think a 705 should fit into a legrand II. I haven’t put a 705 in a legrand II myself so I could be wrong though.

Also the magnetic force of a pickup does not affect intonation at all. So don’t worry about that one.
Bob
Norman Evans

Post by Norman Evans »

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

That video seems overly complicated. The original 705's that were on my Franklin had a (wide mount) mounting plate attached (with four holes for the mounting screws). I swapped the 705's with 710's which also came with the wide mount plate.

A friend installed the 705's in his LLII steel and didn't have any problems (that he mentioned) and didn't have to disassemble the necks like the video.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Bob Hoffnar

Post by Bob Hoffnar »

Jack Stoner wrote:That video seems overly complicated. The original 705's that were on my Franklin had a (wide mount) mounting plate attached (with four holes for the mounting screws). I swapped the 705's with 710's which also came with the wide mount plate.

A friend installed the 705's in his LLII steel and didn't have any problems (that he mentioned) and didn't have to disassemble the necks like the video.
Jack, I’m with you that. I have put a lot of pickups in different steels and never went to all that trouble.
Bob
J Hollenberg

Post by J Hollenberg »

Fits perfectly in a Lashley LeGrande from 1993
Sjaak Hollenberg
Emmons Lashley LeGrande SD10 from 1993
Gene Tani

Post by Gene Tani »

I measured a few if you can measure the cavity or the pickup that's in there now. The 710's and 16s had various thickness baseplates and the new ones have pole pieces going thru baseplate, I don't know if 705's have any changes like that

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtop ... 44#2947044
- keyless Sonny Jenkins laps stay in tune forever!; Carter PSG
- The secret sauce: polyester sweatpants to buff your picks, cheapo Presonus channel strip for preamp/EQ/compress/limiter, Diet Mountain Dew
Tommy Shown

Post by Tommy Shown »

I have a 705 on my Lashley LeGrande III. And it fit perfectly in its place.