Bigsby Acoustic Neck

Post here if you're looking for something special
Eric Reeves

Bigsby Acoustic Neck

Post by Eric Reeves »

This may not be overly lucrative, but I like asking questions of this community more than other's I've seen. Would anyone happen to know anyone that makes reproduction Bigsby necks that would fit a J200? The new inspired by Gibson line is calling me, but I would really like to be able to get a Hank Thompson or Lefty Frizzel vibe goin if I did. Any good sources out there?
1966 EMMONS S-10 Bolt On Push-Pull
Cartwright Thompson

Post by Cartwright Thompson »

I wouldn’t be surprised if T.K. Smith would build something like that.
tksmith.net
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

Yeah - sounds like custom work to me. I can’t imagine a builder supplying a line of Bigsby replacement acoustic necks. Might sell a few per year.

Some Gibson and Martin players had Paul Bigsby build replacement necks because some of the big stars in the ‘50s like Lefty Frizzell, Merle Travis and others didn’t care for the “baseball bat” necks that were often found on those guitars. Sort of a forerunner of when Taylors started becoming popular with electric players who sometimes doubled on acoustic and preferred a slimmer neck.

I played a few years ago (wish I could have bought it) a Martin D-28 Bigsby model with their take on a Bigsby maple neck. I loved the feel of that neck! Martin came out with something similar 12-13 years ago, the D-28 Merle Travis.

It would be cool if Gibson offered a tribute model of Lefty’s guitar - but they won’t. Gibson doesn't that sort of thing at their Acoustic division in Montana.

I guess you have a J-200 “donor guitar body” already?

If doesn’t come to fruition you could always switch to the “Merle Travis vibe” and seek out one of those Martins instead.

Below is the Martin Merle Travis:
Last edited by Mark Eaton on 9 Apr 2021 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark
Eric Reeves

Post by Eric Reeves »

Cartwright Thompson wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if T.K. Smith would build something like that.
tksmith.net
I was kinda thinking the same. He seems to be kinda bearin that torch a bit these days. Been wanting to build a Bigsbyesque partscaster with some of his components for awhile now.
Eric Reeves

Post by Eric Reeves »

I do covet that Martin Merle Travis, in fact it's probably what sparked me wanting to do a neck swap in the first place. But there aren't a lot of those layin around anymore. I know the guy who got the last one in MF's warehouse just last year. But there's just something way cool about a big blonde jumbo body J-200. With the new Inspired by Gibson line of Epiphones, figured could get away with an inexpensive quality donor whom I wouldn't mind swappin headstocks on for some flavor and throwback flair. My only worries, I actually like Louisville Slugger necks on my Tele's, would like to A/B a side by side comparison of what was considered a chunky neck and swap for the skinnier bigsby setup. I tend to shy away from 60's style necks and skinnier jobs.
Mark Eaton
Location: Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California

Post by Mark Eaton »

I get a gut feeling that a custom neck from a high end builder might be priced to where you say "whoa - didn't think it would cost that much!" Like years ago when I learned how expensive a quality violin bow could be and having next to zero knowledge of these things I was kind of blown away.

I don't know about the Martin Merle Travis, but there are a small number of D-28 Bigsbys out there,though I'm guessing it's more than you want to pay since the body you're talking about using is from an Epiphone J-200. I might get tired of the over-the-top pickguard on the Merle Travis. I think that's why I prefer the Bigsby.

But it doesn't hurt to ask. Though a neck could easily end up costing more than the Epiphone "donor" guitar.

If you're not familiar with him already, Eric Galletta builds some beautiful Bigsby-like guitars in Southern California. You might want to give him a shot:

https://www.gallettaguitars.com/

Speaking of the Bigsby vibe, here is my Clinesmith Model B 8-string lap steel inspired by the Bigsby standard electric guitars of that era.

Mark
Andy DePaule

I have drawings?

Post by Andy DePaule »

I have been working on several instruments with those style necks.
A matching a set (Guitar & Mandolin) of Kay Kraft 1930's style bodies with Bigsby 50's style necks. Also a copy of the first Bigsby electric made for Merle Travis.

Since I'm semi retired and only doing work for my own pleasure now I'd not be willing to take on any more.
If you find someone who will do it for you I could send you the drawing files I've done.

All are works in progress whenever I'm able to get home and back to work on them.
Photos below.
You might ask Todd Clinesmith if he'd be up to doing it or some other good luthier?
It will not be cheap to get good quality.
Best wishes,
Andy

Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.