Amp speakers

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Stephen Goode

Amp speakers

Post by Stephen Goode »

I have a line 6 modeling amp with 2 12" speakers and 2 3" tweeters and my question is can I unhook the 2 tweeters and maybe put a 4 ohm resistor across the leads to the speakers without any damage to the amp? The reason I want to disconnect is that the tweeters just make my steel sound too tinny. I would appreciate any and all input someone might have. Thanks, Steve.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I would check with line 6. You probably don't need the resistor but I would get their blessing.
George Biner

Post by George Biner »

Assuming this is a transistor power output stage (I think most Line6's are that type), you only have to make sure not to overload the amp by running too low an impedance -- need to know the model to know what that is or it may be on the back panel.

If you don't want the tweeters, just disconnect them (and their crossover network, if any). Not sure what the 4 ohm resistor is for -- that will just lower the load impedance and burn power.

And the "tinny" might be coming out of the amp -- you might work more with the tonality of the amp to get it sounding better or swap the amp out.
Guacamole Mafia - California Country Rock band
Electrical engineer / amp tech in West Los Angeles
Mullen RP SD10 E9 / Fender Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Princeton Reverb
"Now there is a snappy sounding instrument. That f****r really sings." - Jerry Garcia
Stephen Goode

Amp speakers

Post by Stephen Goode »

Thanks guy's for responding, I just thought that the 4 ohm resistors would take the place of the 4 ohm speakers and as far as the adjustments goes, I have turned the bass all the way up and the mids and treble all the way down and it still sounds tinny. This thing has 90 different factory presets on it many of which I don't like and of the one's that I do still sounds tinny, so if anyone else has an opinion I would be glad to hear it. Thanks, Steve.
Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Tweeters are a steel guitar's worst enemy. That's why you don't see them in "steel guitar" amps.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

You must be using the Amplifi model. It requires a iPhone to adjust parameters. If that's your model it likely has some effects dialed in causing issues. What amp is it?
Stephen Goode

Post by Stephen Goode »

Hey Larry, My amp is a Spider 5 - 240.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

Well that's a new model but after watching a video it sounds decent. Of course amp modeling may not be for everyone. I use older line 6 pod products and they do require extensive tweaking to achieve good steel tone on regular amps and house PA systems. You do have the option of USB and android or iPhone editor, but also front of amp knob tweaking. Choose an amp model or a no amp or tube preamp model and tweak from there. Look for editing of the on board eq and try dialing in a suitable tone. Good luck.
Stephen Cowell

Post by Stephen Cowell »

"The Spider V 240 MkII’s Classic Speaker mode automatically shuts off its high-frequency driver and cab/mic modeling, yielding an organic sound and feel that seemed comfortable and familiar to the traditional-minded guitarists here at Sweetwater when we ran it through its paces."

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... -combo-amp
New FB Page: Lap Steel Licks And Stuff: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195394851800329