pre-knee lever copedent

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jan Oelbrandt

pre-knee lever copedent

Post by Jan Oelbrandt »

I've been reading a lot lately, on the development of the pedal steel guitar. About a certain moment in time, I'm curious for the insights of any Forum Member that may be relevant.
I wanna focus on this video, Ernest Tubb in 1961 with the BigE (solo comes in at 1'58").
From what I've read, knee levers were not yet around at that time, and the top strings D# and F# were not yet standard on the E9. Also, it seems that Buddy is reaching for the C pedal with his right foot (at 2'09", when he moves his hip).
Three questions for who wants to chime in:
- do you agree Buddy is double footing? EDIT this was discussed in previous posts that indeed he is, for example in this one
- do you think he used this copedent below? From what I hear in comping parts, string 7 could be C# instead of D, easy to get C6-type sounds with B pedal pressed
- Mr. Tubb is shouting something near the end of the solo, but I can't understand it. It resembles "Shot Jackson". What are you hearing?

Last edited by Jan Oelbrandt on 23 Jan 2021 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MSA U12 (uni C6), '71 &'73 Emmons PP, Fender '56 Champion lap steel, custom build Weissenborn. Johnson, Mattelin & '31 Regal resonators, MusicMan RD65 or Quilter head through a 12" Jensen (psg), MusicMan 65 amp (lap). Daddy Slide tonebar
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Forum search. Much written about this.
Bobby D. Jones

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

I read some where in the history of the Steel guitar.
At one time this was the standard E9th tuning, In Buddy Emmons development of the modern E9th We use today, He took the 9th string G# and 10th string E off and added 1st string F# (.013)and 2nd string D# (.015) to the front. And with the String 1 thru 8 developed the present E9th 10 string tuning.
Pedal A Pedal B Pedal C
1 F#
2 D#
3 G# A
4 E F#
5 B C# C#
6 G# A
7 F#
8 E
9 D
10 B C#

Then knee levers was added to this by Mr. Emmons (Musically)and Shot Jackson (Mechanically). I remember a friend of mine had added knee levers to his steel as Buddy developed and added, He had Wire Pliers handles as knee levers under an old Sho-Bud he played in the late 1960's.
Sorry this post changes the pedal pulls and piles them up together on the left.
Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker »

Jan, as far as your three questions, he's my 2 cents worth:
1. Buddy double footing. Or reaching over with his right foot to pedal C. Yes, Also, I seen other post mentioning that Buddy was squeezing C pedal, but I don't think so, I think hes on the C pedal, but picking between strings 4 and 5 quickly keeping C down.
2. C6 sounds with comping parts or fills to get the C6 sounds. Is it possible that Emmons could have been switching back and forth on the necks, C6 on the vocal and guitar lead, and the moved to E9 for the solo?
3. Probably a reference to Shot as he and Buddy built the ShoBud. I'm hearing, ..."hey Shot Jackson, listen partner..."