Goodrich OMNI

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Larson

Goodrich OMNI

Post by John Larson »

I ordered a Goodrich OMNI last week as my first serious PSG volume pedal. I want to highlight how awesome Goodrich is for throwing in a t shirt and a pack of PSG strings with the order.

The pedal arrived and it is awesome, much smoother travel than the Ernie Ball Anniversary I've been using which has now found it's home back on my guitar pedalboard. The main impetus for the order was me getting tired of spraying the Ernie Ball with Deoxit frequently. I've been using the OMNI in powered mode with the included power supply for the added bit of buffer. I've noticed that the finer control has cleaned up my playing almost overnight. Thoroughly pleased.
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

You have to have a proper pedal for PSG - no doubt about that. An ordinary guitar pedal can't withstand the constant movement for long, and it's not designed to be used siting down.

As a matter of interest, the names most commonly heard are Goodrich, Hilton and Telonics. Who else makes a pedal specifically for steel?
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

In my years I have sold hundreds of new volume pedals, either Telonics or Goodrich.

I have never had one model that stood out from Goodrich more than the OMNI. It has proven to be the best pot pedal ever manufactured, IMHO.

I just got this email yesterday from my last customer that I shipped an OMNI,
" Bill,

I just got it and I LOVE it!!!! It sounds gorgeous! So thick and round and no more ice pick highs. Thanks so much for the great price and quick shipping!

Chris"

If I can help any of you with purchasing a new OMNI, please contact me. I am here to help my fellow steelers.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Greg Cutshaw

Post by Greg Cutshaw »

Lehle makes a great electronic volume pedal for steel guitar. My next pedal purchases will be the Moyo compact and the low Goodrich Omni. I love trying out all these pedals. There are slight differences in height, feel, sound, features. price and appearance amongst these pedals that may make one preferable for you.
George Kimery

Goodrich Omni

Post by George Kimery »

Great pedal as are all the Goodrich pedals. I've had all the active pedals and they were all good pedals. My current, and favorite, active pedal is a Lehle 90, which I use for practice and as a backup. My gigging pedal is a Goodrich 120 with a 500k Allen Bradley pot. I prefer the sound of the pot pedal with my push pull Emmons.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I like mine but had two problems with mine.
The string got out of whack after a few weeks of use, so when I moved the pedal to zero volume it was still giving half volume. I happened to be in San Diego so I had Kevin Ryan fix it at the Goodrich World Headquarters :)
The next problem I had was the axel that is used to change the fulcrum position kept falling out, causing the pedal to collapse on one side.
I had to put a piece of black electrical tape on each side of that round axel to keep it in place.
I like using Buffer Mode.
I also like that it can be used without a battery or a wall wart if needed.
I don't like the short cord on the wall wart. That should be twice as long, imho.
I have one and use it and like it but those were the likes/issues/observations I had with mine. :)
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Do you actually get an added bit of buffer using the power supply? Unless I missed it, it doesn’t say that on the website. Just curious, I always use battery mode.
Gary Newcomb

Post by Gary Newcomb »

I love this pedal, huge improvement in my perception of my tone❤️❤️❤️❤️
Sierra Session U12, Milkman 1/2, Goodrich Omni, Divine Noise Cables, BJS, Solid cosmic gold, baby 👶🏻
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Roger, the answer is no.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

The axle is held in place by a set screw accessed under the bottom plate- you won't need tape.
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I found the Axel set screw! There was one screw on the left side. It was loose. I snugged it up. Should be fine!
Thanks, Jim!
:)
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Well the pot is scratchy now. Is this just a thing with pot pedals that they don't last at all no matter the price? This is a sealed pot so no way to clean it. Its really noisy right at the top of the sweep which makes it pretty much unusable now. :(
John Larson

Post by John Larson »

Its not a harsh environment because its kept clean. What would cause the second one exactly? Its been plugged in on its own power supply since I got it.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

John,
If you bought your Goodrich new, it has a one year warranty.

Call Kevin at Goodrich and he will take care of you.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Georg,
I have never heard of what you are saying.

It is not highly unusual to get a bad volume pot of the type used in volume pedals for steel guitar.

I would bet it is just a bad pot. IMHO
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

When first energizing the active circuit (whether it be battery or plugged in)- there can be some scratchiness but it goes away in a minute or so. While the new pots are quite reliable (less than 1 in 500 failures w/in a year)it can happen and Kevin will always make it right.