Pee Wee Whitewing Has Transitioned-Updated 3/28/2020

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Andie Whitewing

Pee Wee Whitewing Has Transitioned-Updated 3/28/2020

Post by Andie Whitewing »

Dear Folk,

86-years-old legendary steel player and pioneer Pee Wee Whitewing is currently making the transition from this life. He is in a facility in Port Allen, Louisiana (near Baton Rouge), has not been conscious or taking in food or drink for several days. He appears to be sleeping peacefully, but we know that in the coming days his body will stop responding.

Our family has deep faith, as Pee Wee has, that he will be rejoining his loved ones who have gone before him on the other side of the veil. As of right now, he does not have the COVID-19 virus, but another resident of his facility was confirmed to have died from it last Sunday. Because of the risk to the residents and to family members who are immuno-compromised, no one from our family is being allowed to be with him during this time - which is difficult for us.

Pee Wee has always been our rock and the best we are able to do for him right now is to be with him in spirit. I ask that all of you join us in holding him in love and light for a quick and peaceful, painless transition.

For some years now he has been in steady decline from frontal lobe dementia, and lost his ability to speak and to play music due to a massive cardioembolic stroke in 2016. This disease is heartbreaking one as we have helplessly watched our loved one deteriorate over time. We are all ready for him to have and be at peace.

I will keep you posted as things develop. We will of course have a celebration of life for him when we are on the other side of the current crisis and it is safe for people to gather.

In the meantime, I hope that all of you are taking good care of yourselves and your families and staying safe. I am praying for all of us.

Thank you for your love and support.
Andie Whitewing
andie@whitewingmusic.com
Last edited by Andie Whitewing on 27 Mar 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

So sorry for your family. He meant a lot to us too.
Peaceful journey, Mr. Whitewing.
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

What a legend. Thanks for keeping us posted.

He has a lot of extended family here.

Lee, from South Texas
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

Andrea, sorry to hear this! God bless him and all of you in the family.

I'll always treasure having his custom-built Rittenberry SD-12, I'm still in the process of revamping its copedent, but have high hopes it'll be my main axe when that's all done.
E9 INSTRUCTION
▪️ If you want to have an ongoing discussion, please email me, don't use the Forum messaging which I detest! steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
John Herb

Post by John Herb »

He meant a lot to us indeed! May god bless the family during this difficult time.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

This is sad news! Pee Wee was a Great Steel Guitarist and a drving force a long with other Steel Guitarist Greats who played with Hank Thompson and His Brazos Valley Boys band! Hank Thompson was very fond of the Steel Guitar and Pee Wee and Bob White both played twin steel guitars at the same time for a couple of years in Hank Thompson's Great Western Swing Band. I know that Bobby Black and his brother Larry Black were close Pals with Pee Wee Whitewing too. Prayers for Pee Wee's transition and for his Family and many Friends. GOD bless Y'all!
Andie Whitewing

Pee Wee Has Transitioned

Thank you all for your love and support. Pee Wee drew his last breath tonight at 10:49pm Central time. A nurse was with him and she told us that he passed very peacefully.

I will share more information with you as it becomes available, but for now, a little time to process.

Love,
Andie
Andie Whitewing

Some Photos of Pee Wee

I have lots more, just working my way through some.

I sure appreciate the loving community of musicians we are privileged to call extended family.

Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Thank you, Andrea, for your gracious and eloquent post. I am so sorry for your loss. Peace.
Craig Stock

Post by Craig Stock »

Yes, Thanks Andrea, hoping for strength to you and your family during this time!
Regards, Craig

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days
Chris Boyd

Post by Chris Boyd »

My condolences and love to you and your family Andrea...
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

Paul Wade

Pee WEE

Post by Paul Wade »

thoughts and prayers go out to you and family god bless...

p.w
Roy Rosetta

Post by Roy Rosetta »

Thoughts and prayers to you Andrea and all of our dear friend Pee Wee's family. We have very fond memories of the many, many shows we played together over the years. He is in a much better place now with Our Precious Lord.
...Roy and Barbara
Travis Partain

Pee Wee Whitewing

Post by Travis Partain »

So sorry to hear of Pee Wee's passing. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family. He was one of the Greats of the steel guitar. Everyone's gonna miss him.
Larry Dering

Post by Larry Dering »

I'd like to add my thoughts and prayers to the family. Pee Wee was a great inspiration to me especially as my love for Hank Thompsons style. May he rest in peace.
Dave Mudgett

Post by Dave Mudgett »

My deepest sympathies and condolences to you and your family, Andrea.
Sandra Scott-Wall

Post by Sandra Scott-Wall »

Pee Wee was inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2002. The entire Scott family sends our deepest condolences
to the Whitewing family.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

He was one of the builders of the house that is the music we love. With much love, respect and prayers.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

My prayers are with you and the family, Andrea.

Walter Stettner
Vienna, Austria
Joe Rogers

Post by Joe Rogers »

Pee Wee was one of my idols. An incredible musician with an uncanny ear for harmony. He taught me a lot. I will never forget Hal Rugg telling me that the sole reason he wanted to learn steel guitar was as a result of hearing Pee Wee play. That spoke volumes to me.

Rest in peace my friend....

Joe Rogers
J R Rose

Post by J R Rose »

Pee Wee is in a much better place now. But it is a sad day. My Dad spoke highly of him. Andie, May God grant you the peace and comfort to endure these sad days. J.R.
Black Performance SD-10, 2002. Peavey LTD 400 with 15" Eminence EPS 15-C, Sho-Bud Seat, Goodrich L-120 Pedal, Sho-Bud Bar, Picks, Cords. Nothing else.
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

I think I related this before, but at one of the St. Louis Conventions somewhere either 2005 or 08, Pee Wee was sitting at a table in the hotel canteen when I stopped in there for a snack. He invited me to sit and he talked to me as if he'd known me all his life.

Such a kind and down to earth true gentleman. I still treasure that short visit I had with him.

I always admired his playing too of course, but he was a heckuva a gentleman. RIP.
Andy DePaule

So sorry for this news.

Post by Andy DePaule »

Hello Andrea,
So sorry for this news. My prayers are with you and the family at this difficult time.
I never met him, but did visit with Bob White about 1980 and he told me interesting stories about playing with your dad and Hank Thompson.
I think you right about heaven having another wonderful man.
Condolences to you and your family, Andrea.
Inlaid Star Guitar 2006 by Mark Giles. SD-10 4+5 in E9th; http://luthiersupply.com/instrument-gallery.html
2017 Mullen SD-10, G2 5&5 Polished Aluminum covering. Custom Build for me. Great Steel.
Clinesmith Joaquin Murphy style Aluminum 8 String Lap Steel Short A6th.
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.
Dan Robinson

Post by Dan Robinson »

Andrea, heartfelt prayers and thoughts to you and your family. Thank you for sharing your family's news with the steel guitar "family."