Problem with A-pedal

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Alex Jonsson

Problem with A-pedal

Post by Alex Jonsson »

Hi, I have a ShoBud 6140 and am pretty new in business. The A-pedal has stopped working for my lowest B string, so nothing happens there when pressing the pedal (5th string is working fine though). Does anyone have tips on what to do? I'm thinking I might need to get the changer out (and clean while I'm at it) but can't find any video instruction or so to assist me in the process.
Gaylen James

turn it over

Post by Gaylen James »

you are gonna have to get a basic understanding of the workings of the steel guitar.
Flip it over and see what is not moving when you press the pedals. A lot of adjustments are gonna be required in the care and feeding of this instrument
Bobby D. Jones

Prpblem with A pedal

Post by Bobby D. Jones »

From your description of the 10th B not pulling to proper raise note. Check all the pull on that string from the cross rod to bell crank to pull rod and back to the changer. It sounds like something has slipped, broken or stripped. If the guitar has nylon tuning nuts on the pull rods at the changer may be the problem, Or may be the bell crank is slipping on the cross rod. Good Luck finding the problem and cure and back Happy Steelin.
Kevin Fix

Post by Kevin Fix »

Look real close with it upside down. You will probably find something simple.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post by Dan Beller-McKenna »

I may be mistaken, but I think most 6140s used the rack and barrel system (or barrel with two-hole pullers). My money is on an issue withe brass barrel. See whether it has become loose on its pull rod or been dialed back so far that it is not engaging with anything to pull the string.

Hard to tell whether any of this i relevant without a pic of the underside of the steel.
Alex Jonsson

Problem solved

Post by Alex Jonsson »

Thanks to all of you for your replies. Dan, you were right and tightening it solved the issue. Happy new year, folks! :)