Observation converting from C6 high G to A6 after 14 year...

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Michael Lester

Observation converting from C6 high G to A6 after 14 year...

Post by Michael Lester »

For many years I've played gigs with a double neck Stringmaster tuned C6 and E13. Enjoy every second of it.

In recent months I've been playing a single neck lap steel informally with a group of people whose voices have mellowed over the years and certain keys are just not as crystal clear as they once were. Still great singers- but lean to the lower keys.

C6 always seemed to my ear too big a contrast in pitch between the steel and the mellower voice range.

A few months ago I retuned to A6 L to H ::
F# A C# E F# A C# E.

Sure goofed up fretboard positions for a while - but time cured the problem.

I'm very pleased with the change.

A6 offers a lot of cool growl and above the 12 fret isn't nearly as screechy - all around a smoother, more mature sound.

Almost everything I learned still works, but with a different sound....and the singers seem to like the change a lot.
Jack Hanson

Post by Jack Hanson »

Even though I started out on a 10-string E9 student model PSG, I can't get a handle on an 8-string instrument for some reason. I've been playing standard 6-string C6 with an E on top for a while now, and have gotten quite comfortable with it. A couple years back I rescued a basketcase Gibson 7-string that Stradivarius' great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandson converted (butchered) into a 6-string. I decided to keep the E on top, and the root on the bottom (like C6). A6 is tailor-made to do exactly that. I love it! Less whiny and way more balls than the similar but higher-pitched C6. It was very popular in the heyday of Western Swing, and for good reason. I like it so much I recently converted another basketcase Gibson I rescued to 7-string A6.
David Knutson

Post by David Knutson »

When I decided to go down from C6 to A6 - I just kept going down and landed on G6 - E G B D E G B D. One nice side benefit of G6 for me is, when sitting into a blues jam in key of A, there's a really nice dom 7th or 9th passing chord in the open G position. And great growly low end.
David K
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

My dual pro is currently set up with C6 L-H GACEGACE and A6 L-H F#AC#EF#AC#E which can be easily changed to B11 on the top 6 strings F#ABD#F#AC#E. I like learning songs on C6 and finding out how much more I like them on the A6 neck.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

I went through the same thought process and am also playing a single 8 CruzTone in A6 except I tune the 8th string up to G. I guess you'd call it A13. like Junior Brown's tuning except in A. It covers all the ground I need to cover including range and harmonic capability.
Tom Wolverton

Post by Tom Wolverton »

I’m with you Michael. I love A6 with a G on the bottom.
To write with a broken pencil is pointless.