Best Lightweight Practice amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bowie Martin

Best Lightweight Practice amp

Post by Bowie Martin »

I have a Nashville 112, but would like to find something even lighter for a practice amp. I use a Profex II. Any suggestions? Unfortunately it seems that practices often involve going up a flight or two of steps!
Emmons LeGrande II D-10, Emmons LeGrande III D-10, Emmons LeGrande III S10, Boss Katana 100, Boss Katana 50, Nashville 112
Peavey PX's Speakers, with Profex II, Nashville 1000,
Roy Carroll

Post by Roy Carroll »

I put Neo speakers in both my NV112's. It makes a LOAD of difference! TT Eminence. The amp weighs about 22-23 lbs.
Just north of the Weird place, south of Georgetown
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Bowie, pick up a Roland Cube from Craig's List. I have a Cube 80 with a 12" speaker, that I often gig with, but for the average band a 10" Cube or even smaller might do it.

Then you don't have to modify your 112.

Also consider a Behringer battery powered PA. Their lowest is about 180, new. No reverb, but light and needs no plug-in!

Chris
George Kimery

Light Weight practice amp.

Post by George Kimery »

I promise I don't work for Boss and don't get a fee for pushing the Katana, but they are just great little amps for steel. I have a 100 watt head paired with a TT-12 speaker cabinet. It has 3 power settings: 5 watts, 50 watts, and 100 watts. I have used it in several shows with pretty loud bands, and have never had to use the 100 watts. it has a 5" built in speaker for practice and only weighs 19 LB. A 50 watt combo should work great for your needs. Plus, you will have an amp that you can gig with as a backup. I have had two Nashville 112's one with the Ken Fox chips mod and the Eminence speaker upgrade. I like the Katana better than a 112. New 50 watt ones from MF are $325.00, including shipping and a 45 day return policy. There was a 100 watt used one on the forum for $200.00. IMHO, you should give one a chance. Putting a neo speaker in your 112 can cost over $200.00. You can get a used Katana
whole amp for that.
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

I recently bought a used Fender Rumble 25 bass amp for my grandson. $40 on Craigslist (they're $100 new). Before I gave it to him I plugged in my steel and whoa! Great tone, very loud and clean and less than 20 lbs. Seriously I think it's loud enough to gig with. Add your Profex and it's good to go. I'm waiting for another Rumble 25 or 40 to show up on CL for me.
Mike Beley

Post by Mike Beley »

X2 on the Fender Rumble.
I'm using a Rumble 15. It's really small and sounds darn good. I actually used it for a gig in June, just me and 2 acoustics, but it's a great little practice amp.

Mike
Cameron Fulp

Post by Cameron Fulp »

Just got a quilter Steelaire, it’s my full time amp. 30 lbs and it has a big full sound with a 15 inch speaker. I would highly recommend. About $1,300 but worth it . I bought it through guitar center and went with the 6 year warranty for another $125 . Can’t beat it . I’m very pleased . But to each his own. I just play out of a boss delay pedal and Wampler hot wired. All fits in my seat so I’m “light packing” compared to the back pack full of crap and a “hernia 500” but still have the same BIG sounds and a nice “old school” looking amp !
Todd Higgins

Post by Todd Higgins »

For just pure practice and light weight....I use of these Yamaha THR10s. I originally bought it for my Telecaster, but I plug the steel into it so the neighbors don't hear me. The tone on the tele is pretty good for bedroom volumes. The tone on the PSG is ok. It's hard to get much volume without breakup, but it's for the living room anyway. The amp has several presets to mimic several popular amps, but they've all got too much gain. But it also has a "flat" preset and that's what I use. You can also run it off batteries but I've never tried that. And for weight? Maybe about the same as a 4 slot toaster?? There's a built in tuner plus, there's a headphone jack. My wife thinks its a winner!
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

Todd Higgins wrote:... But it also has a "flat" preset and that's what I use...
I have one too,I use the acoustic preset for psg !
Steve Hotra

Post by Steve Hotra »

Another Boss Katana head amp user here.
Its perfect for bedroom rehearsals, along with a 1/8 mini input jack for jam tracks.
I use the acoustic setting at 100 watts.. gets the job done.
Guitars: Rittenberry SD S-10, Gretsch Black Falcon. Effects: Wampler Paisley, Strymon Timeline, Sarno Earth Drive.
Fractal FM9
Amps: Mesa Express 5:25, Jazzkat Tomkat & Boss Katana head / various cabs.
Gary Sill

Suggest the Peavey Trace Elliott Elf and a speaker cabinet

Post by Gary Sill »

The Elf weighs about 2 lbs, fits in your back pocket, 200 watts RMS.

Use it with the Trace Elliott speakers or your own. $299 plus shipping solves the weight problem for steel. Also available an effects pedal to add reverb, chorus, and delay plus equalization controls.

Call me at 217-433-7455
Gary Sill
Sill Music Supply

www.sillmusicsupply.com
A beautiful Laquer Mullen G2, 2 Nashville 112's, Evans 10" R150 Amp,1982 Emmons Push Pull D-10, Hilton Pedals, 12/8 MSA Superslide, Green LDG Sho-Bud-Owned by Lloyd, S-6 Fender 1956 Lap. , Gretsch Country Gentleman, Gibson 5 string 2002 banjo, 1953 D8 Fender Stringmaster, reconditioned completely, red Gibson 2019, ES 335, Quilter Steelaire, Gretsch Resonator, Eastman mandolin
Barry Coker

Post by Barry Coker »

Big yes on the Elf. A home made bracket Reverb and delay is my setup add the speaker of your choice and go for it.
This whole setup amp pedals and bracket about 5 pounds and 200 WATTS.
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

Chris Brooks wrote:Bowie, pick up a Roland Cube from Craig's List. I have a Cube 80 with a 12" speaker, that I often gig with, but for the average band a 10" Cube or even smaller might do it.

Then you don't have to modify your 112.

Also consider a Behringer battery powered PA. Their lowest is about 180, new. No reverb, but light and needs no plug-in!

Chris
Another vote for the Cube 80. I have one for guitar. When I go to practice, I just lug one amp and play both guitar and steel through it. Very sweet amp for the steel, and only 35 lbs.