MXR Compressors ?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John Swain

MXR Compressors ?

Post by John Swain »

So, what's the deal with these old stomp boxes? I see them on EBay for $265 when I thought the were worth $40! I know I have an old one somewhere.
Donny Hinson

Pedals are the new collectible

Post by Donny Hinson »

Are you talking about the Dyna Comp? I see some of them with a BIN up to $539, but the highest SOLD price recently is $149. Admittedly, a lot of stuff from the '70s is getting hot now. In some cases, it's justified because the circuitry and sound is different (discrete components). But in others, it's just hype about things like script logos and defunct models.
Bengt Erlandsen

Post by Bengt Erlandsen »

If it is the old MXR Dynacomp, it sounds and responds in a certain way and have been used on numerous recordings since it was first released. Many guitarists love the way it sounds and responds and it might be the right tool to put in the signal chain if you want to get that sound heard on many recordings from when country was country. I have one of the newer versions, the Supercomp, and when I first tried it, I instantly recognized, ahhh, there is that sound I have heard many times before.
Have never used it on pedal steel but my telecaster and stratocaster sure likes it.

B.Erlandsen
Jerry Korkki

Post by Jerry Korkki »

I bought one in the '70,s after a Jeff Newman used one at a seminar and loved it. Like a dipstick I sold it but the guy I sold to just gave it back to me recently. I don't know if it was tired but sounded kinda fuzzy in the top end and a little dull all around. Got some instructions from a site for a Dyna Comp mod and it now sounds great. I believe Mr. Newman called it that "spitting sound" on single note runs.
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I've got three old Dyna Comps. Don't use them though.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps
Jeff Harbour

Re: Pedals are the new collectible

Post by Jeff Harbour »

Donny Hinson wrote:...But in others, it's just hype about things like script logos and defunct models.
Don't want to get picky here... But if you're referring to the MXR Phase 90 when you say "script logos", then that is in fact a matter of circuitry. From what I understand, the early models with that logo sounded significantly different from the newer ones. It was so different that Eddie Van Halen created his own version with a switch so that you can have both sounds.

For others though, like the Ibanez Tube Screamer, then it likely is just a cosmetic thing.
Greg Lambert

Post by Greg Lambert »

Donny Hinson wrote:Are you talking about the Dyna Comp? I see some of them with a BIN up to $539, but the highest SOLD price recently is $149. Admittedly, a lot of stuff from the '70s is getting hot now. In some cases, it's justified because the circuitry and sound is different (discrete components). But in others, it's just hype about things like script logos and defunct models.

Thats interesting. I have an MXR Dynacomp. Its my favorite by far.
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

I agree with donny on the ridiculous price on some of this old, oops i mean... "Vintage" music gear out there both used and reissued. I dunno, i have never heard, played, owned an old gibson, or fender guitar or amp, i can say i liked any better then a brand new American built fender or gibson. Same with effect pedals. Some guys hail the "Tube Screamer" as the holy grail of overdrive...nah not me. Any well built analog (preferred) effect pedal works for me. I guess i appreciate the component & tube advancement, and creative circuits that have been developed today.

Les Paul created the first delay apparatus using a cadillac flywheel, and half worn out magnetic recording tape, but i sure don't want to go out and buy one like les built.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Jeff Harbour wrote:
Don't want to get picky here (Donny)... But if you're referring to the MXR Phase 90 when you say "script logos", then that is in fact a matter of circuitry. From what I understand, the early models with that logo sounded significantly different from the newer ones. It was so different that Eddie Van Halen created his own version with a switch so that you can have both sounds.
Didja know there are at least 3 different MXR Phase 90 models with a "script logo"? There's the original one that came out in '72. Then there was a custom reissue that came out in '90 that supposedly sounded like the '72 (but had a light and power supply and mode switch). And then there was another reissue of the original where the light and switching were deleted and the battery power back again?

Oh yeah, in addition there was the EVH Phase 90 (with wild paint and switch for both modes).

As if that weren't enough "phasing", then you have the Phase 45 with (both script and block), the Phase 45/90, the Phase 100 (with script and block), and then there's Series 2000 Phaser...yada, yada, yada.

And that's just the MXR brand! :lol:
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

And.... along the way on those MXR phase 90's, they were suppose to have offered ones that were handwired, with secretly obtained NOS original components, and hand paint the case, so you'll be sure to be reconized as using only the custom unit. Which of course caused the price to triple. As if someone actually sat down at a bench, and built each unit by hand, with all original parts, from the case up. But of course, that's business. If John Doe who once did a session that had Lloyd Green on it, even though they wern't together at the same studio, at the same time. When joe played that old worn out beat to death fender strat, with the band "Over Dosed Cowboys" played a special hand built series 007 super switched scribbled script logo phase 90, then i just gotta have it. Nah...the one they have out now will never do...gotta have the remake of the remade, rebuilt original copy of the original designed, by the original guy who started out in his garage phase 90.....i mean geez after all... i gotta reputation to uphold.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

So true, George! :D I've got an original '72 Phase 90, and the only thing "hand wired" is the jacks, the battery clip, and the switch. The rest is printed circuits.

When everybody tells me how great the old Tele's from the '50s sound, I just say to listen to some early Johnny Cash stuff with Luther playing one, and then see what they think. :?
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

I have three Dyna-Comps.Great for guitar if you use a volume pedal.Tried it on steel,not that impressed.
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

OTOH I think they're the worst guitar compressor ever made - terrible signal to noise ratio with a huge amount of hiss, and a nasty "click" at the front of each note.

But as far as the OP's question -

SOME models - as previously mentioned - have a certain amount of vintage value. There are effects pedals from the 50's, 60's and 70's that are now worth many times the original cost - even some from the 80's and 90's. I have an original Klon Centaur that sells for about 10x the original cost.

Some are rare; some have name identification with famous - especially deceased - players - others just rose in value through rumor and internet legend.

Effects are no different from vintage guitars and amps. And while most of the ones that have significantly increased in value are well built and sound either "great", "unique" or both, some in the high-cost range are just baffling,
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Jerry Korkki

Post by Jerry Korkki »

Prices in the vintage market are dictated by a product being old, rare and desirable. Back when effects pedals were first showing up on the mass market MXR was the name at the top of the heap so that's what I wanted and it delivered. Technology has moved on and maybe the parts in old pieces wears out but some of that old gear still sounds great! Would I pay crazy money for one, probably not. Do I still like my old one, heck yes! Saved me a lot of cash cause I never had to buy another. Now I just gotta figger out how to play the right notes.
Jerry Korkki

Post by Jerry Korkki »

Speaking of baffling, Gibson in the late fifties was ready to drop the poor selling Les Paul because the jazzers that it was designed for hated it. To try to save it they combined some of their best talent and some really nice maple too small for L5's or Super 400's and built what's now know as 'The Burst'. Didn't sell any better so they dropped the LP. Now try to buy one. If I could afford one I could skip practice cause I wouldn't need the gig!