WSHelper.exe

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Roy McKinney

WSHelper.exe

Post by Roy McKinney »

Does anyone know about this? Should it be deleted or what? Associated with this is CBSCreateVC.dll; CBSProductsingo.dll; and DAQ Exp.dll
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

That file belongs to a program called Wondershare. It is sometimes bundled with certain freeware programs, like DVD creators and file converters. I found some information about the executable here. A page full of discussions are here.

After reading a thread about getting rid of Wondershare and its WsHelper.exe file, I concluded that it is definitely a PUP and should probably be removed in full. This can be messy as the authors went out of their way to keep the file on your computer and have it launch with Windows.

Hint: You will probably need to use MSConfig to stop it from launching with Windows startup.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Dave Potter

Post by Dave Potter »

Wiz Feinberg wrote:After reading a thread about getting rid of Wondershare and its WsHelper.exe file, I concluded that it is definitely a PUP and should probably be removed in full. This can be messy as the authors went out of their way to keep the file on your computer and have it launch with Windows.

Hint: You will probably need to use MSConfig to stop it from launching with Windows startup.
I prefer not to allow PUPs and similar to stay on my system, even if I could just prevent them from auto-starting. Eventually, they accumulate on the drive(s) and occupy space needlessly.

Sometimes they can be uninstalled the conventional way through Programs and Features. If that's not possible, I can use jv16 Power Tools to find and uninstall programs or uninstalled leftovers from sloppy or incomplete uninstalls. Maybe it's just me, but I'm particular about that sort of thing.
Roy McKinney

Post by Roy McKinney »

Thanks for the help and reply's.