Going to a rack system

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jeff Metz Jr.

Going to a rack system

Post by Jeff Metz Jr. »

Okay.
I am looking to put together a descent rack system.
What'are some good power amps and pre amps to use for steelguitar? Also lookin for a lightweight 15" speaker. Thanks Again
Mullen G2 SD10 , Lil Izzy Buffer, Goodrich 120 volume pedal, Boss DD-7, Peterson Strobo flip, Peavey Nashville 112
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

Stereo Steel
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Jeff you should appraise the offerings from Telonics, I have a Telonics rack and it is awesome - and lightweight - they have speakers and cabinets available as well.
14'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
08'Zumsteel Hybrid D10 9+9
94' Franklin Stereo D10 9+8
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

If I were in a position where I was professionally gigging and could justify a rack system, my first choice would be a Sarno revelation, my second choice would be quilter. Into a solid state power amp(any 300 watt will do) driving two open back 12 inch cabs loaded with eminence double T's or something along those lines.
Billy Easton

Post by Billy Easton »

I'm with Paddy on the Telonics team. I love mine, and it is light weight with the neo speakers.

Billy
Billy & Meriul Easton
Nashville, TN
Lyle Dent

Post by Lyle Dent »

Jeff:
Money is a key factor in your rack. If your a pro player you can't beat Telonics racks and speakers but if money is an issue you can get great used stuff here on the forum. A good used Mosvalve, SLA, Stuart or Mesa power amp with some generation Fex for effects. A great start would be a Mosvalve with a TubeFex into cabs with Telonics speakers. Price wise Telonics ,SS,used. Weight will also be an issue in your rack. Be sure and start with a good ATA wheeled rack or a way to put it on a dolly mount. You can build a good one for less than 1K or spend 4 or 5.
Rittenberry Prestige SD-12,Mullen G2 SD-12 ,Mullen PRP S-12 BMI S-12 V8 octal, BJS Bars, LiveSteelStrings,Steelers Choice Seat.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I've been using a Stereo Steel. The cabinets aren't heavy and either is the amp/processor head. I started out with a ProFexll processor, then switched to a TC Electronics M-300 processor. The sound is really full and encompassing. The only problem or inconvenience is that with the steel and seat, you have to move 5 pieces instead of 3. But. I think it's worth it and a hand truck or extra hands make it easier.
Ronald Sikes

Post by Ronald Sikes »

John , I agree with you about having to carry 5 pcs instead of 3. I'm seriously considering a Telonics (TCA500) combo. I'm going to check them out at the Dallas show. I like my SS also.
I've actually been using my NV112 mostly.
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
DALE WHITENER

Post by DALE WHITENER »

Pm sent
Brett Lanier

Post by Brett Lanier »

I think a rack system makes sense if you're happy using a 1 or 2 rack space effects unit. If you have an evolving pedalboard you may grow tired of having all those separate pieces over time.

I used a revelation pre for a while as well as an FYD octal reverb pre (which I still use for direct recording). Both are great. In addition to finding the right speakers and cab setup the power amp you're using is really what'll put the sound over the top. My all time favorite power amps for steel guitar are the solid state McIntosh amps from the 60's and 70's. But unless you get an MC2105 and fit it to some rack ears you'll have to have it separate, so it's not ideal for most people. The mosvalve power amps sound great too and are a good bargain.

Have you considered using a Sarno V8 and putting a quilter tone block in the back of your speaker cab? That could be a very good sounding compact and lightweight setup.
Dennis Wood

Post by Dennis Wood »

My rack: Peavey Tubefex,Peavey CS200 stereo poweramp, two space skb rack. two 15" 1501 blackwidows in home built pine cabinets. Sounds good, plenty of power and not a lot of $$$.
I use it for outside or high volume gigs.
Its not really a lightweight setup and more to transport and setup.
auribus teneo lupum
Geoff Noble

Post by Geoff Noble »

I'm building up a stereo rack setup at the moment, imho the power amp doesn't need to be anything too fancy as long as it can deliver good clean power. It's what goes before and after which really matters.

I'm still trying things out but at the moment I am using a little dual stage valve preamp into an Ashly 7 band parametric EQ, followed by a DrJ Analogue delay into a touch of stereo chorus. I would like to add in the new Boss RV6 which sounds delicious.

Still building the cabs which will house a couple of late 70's McKenzie 12" speakers.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Both the Telonics and the Stereo Steel are worthy contenders for rack mounted amplifiers but also in the running is the Quilter Steelaire with a MAP price that is between the other 2 and light as a feather.