Visit With Bill Stafford

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Charley Hill

Visit With Bill Stafford

Post by Charley Hill »

Had a great visit with Bill Stafford yesterday. Bill is indicative of what this community of "Steel Guitar Players" is all about. Greatness!

Each time I visit with Bill and his lovely wife Betty, it is always an awe inspiring event. So many wonderful stories and so many fascinating tales.

If you haven't been to Bill's show in November, start making plans to go now. Be sure to take time to sit down and talk with Bill, you will be glad you did.

The man is a plethora of information on the instrument we ALL love.

Thanks Bill for an entertaining evening, again!
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
Wally Pfeifer

Post by Wally Pfeifer »

:D You are quite lucky, Charley. Peg and I have not seen or talked to Bill since Ivan's wedding in Mobile. But we still remember the time, the place and the nice conversations with Bill. Betty was seated at our table and she also is a winner. Stories about Bill and herself that we never ever heard before. Delightful ! Quite enjoyable.
Wally Pfeifer

P.S. Went home with 2 or 3 of Bill's latest CDs. Top stuff.
8)
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

They don't come any better, think the world of both Bill and Betty.. He's the one that got me started doing steel shows.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Charley Hill

Post by Charley Hill »

Ray

We had that conversation last night. I told him we bumped into each other in Phoenix this time. Great singing and bass playing.

You are correct, none no better than Bill and Betty! :D
Traveler, Peddler and Extreme life lover. Giving up is not an option.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

I dropped in on the man outta the blue...(literally)..One day several years ago!....Mr Smooooth!!
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Jeffery Self

Post by Jeffery Self »

Bill's one of the coolest dudes you'll ever meet 8) 8)
If it's a penny for your thoughts!!!
Why must everyone put in their two cents worth???

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I met Bill briefly at the SC steel show many years ago. We spoke briefly and I tried to get my head 'round his set-up.

The music he made that day remains in my memory as some of the best steel-playing I've ever heard - by anyone.
Roger Rettig - Emmons D10
(8+9: 'Day' pedals) Williams SD-12 (D13th: 8+6), Quilter TT-12, B-bender Teles and several old Martins.
----------------------------------
Jerry Berger

Mr. Bill Stafford

Post by Jerry Berger »

When Bill worked for Sierra back in the mid 80's, I would go over on Saturday mornings to the manufacturing facility and listen to him jam with a couple of other players. I also had him over for dinner on one very hot September evening. He played his Sierra uni 14 for almost two hours in our living room! What a musician and gentleman!
Jeffery Self

Bill

Post by Jeffery Self »

I have a video of Bill playing a white Sierra alongside Herby Wallace at a show in Florida in the early 90's and he and Herby were flat tearin' it up 8)
If it's a penny for your thoughts!!!
Why must everyone put in their two cents worth???

Remembering Larry Self (1936-2014)
Bill Stafford

Bill Stafford

Post by Bill Stafford »

I have the best friends in the world. Thanks to all of you. So grateful here. Our welcome mat has all your names on it, with no expiration date.
Bernie Gonyea

Would Enjoy Being a Friend with Bill Stafford

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

[/b] :D :roll:

Bill; Do you associate with Retired steelers; whom are handicapped to some extent; but still love the Steel Guitar more than life, itself; And admire anyone whom is still actively working as a player; you definitely fall into such a category. I consider you as one of my favorite steel men. I lost my spouse on Thanksgiving Day 2015; She had been ill for several years; She was my companion for some 60 years [ Married for 58 years on Aug. !st- 2015 ] I read your notes all the time in reference to your big show in november each year there in Gulfport. Are older men, as myself; welcome to come & listen to you and your many steel guitarist. During my two years here in the state of Texas; I have fallen many times; My last serious fall was on a solid stone sidewalk; resulting in breaking three of my " Picking fingers " on my right hand. But that doesn't disable my EARS from hearing great steel guitar music. I am 81 years old; I am not a city driver, what-so - ever. A daughter has taken me into Dallas the past two years for at least one day of the March Shows. I formerly resided in Northern N.Y. for approx. 78 years; Began playing steel when. I was 17 years old.{ Began the year Hank Williams passed away;} He was my Idol at that time; Had every record which had been released of Hank. Thus; that was my prelude to steel guitar music. Spent four years in the U.S.Navy; picking on board two different ships; Four trips across the Atlantic Ocean to the Med. Sea on six months cruises.. But hopefully; The Good Lord will allow me an opportunity to travel down to your show some year. Thanks for listening to me rattle on, Bill. I truly enjoy hearing you play your 14 string guitar.. Warm Regards.. Bernie
2007 Zum S-10; 1967 Sho-Bud [ D-10 ]; 85 S-10 Sierra; 1953 Multi-Kord [ 6 String- 4 pedals ] A Sho-Bro six String Resonator Guitar; Nashville 112 Amp; hilton Vol. Pedal
Bill Stafford

Visit

Post by Bill Stafford »

You wonderful friends have floored me completely. No words to completely express my feelings now, so you all will just have to know in your hearts that mine is absolutely full.
Bernie, always know our doors here are always open and ready to welcome you whenever you can be here. Really appreciated reading your sincere words. My email is SChiefsan@aol.com and phone is 228-832-6454. Our next show here in Gulfport will be the first weekend in November. But, you do not need to wait that long to visit. We have plenty of room. Stay in touch.