ZB: who does modern rebuilds?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

steve takacs

ZB: who does modern rebuilds?

Post by steve takacs »

Can anyone out there recommend a technician who would change a ZB undercarriage with those metal "straps" into one that uses modern all-pull technology such as would be found on a Zum, Mullen, etc? " I'd like to be able to change the copedant by myself and I can't do with the traditional ZB undercarriage.

I've already contacted Greg Jones and Billy Knowles but they do not do that conversion.
Thanks in advance, stevet
Skip Edwards

Post by Skip Edwards »

I'd get in touch with Kevin Hatton.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Steve,
I'm just in the process of finishing up a conversion on a D-10 ZB. I used as much of the original ZB parts as possible ie: cabinet, changer, foot pedals, etc. However I replaced all the old strap mechanism with MSA Classic undercarriage. It needs some fine tuning but it is complete with 8 pedals and 4 knee levers. All the parts are new that I obtained from Wayne Link in Canada. I will be posting some pictures in a few days.
Erv
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

I've seen some nice pictures of Mr Hatton's work on this forum - doing precisely that
Patrick Ickes

Post by Patrick Ickes »

Steve,
When you are done making that ZB sound like every other "ZUM, Mullen, etc" guitar, please send your old parts to me so I can keep mine sounding like a ZB forever!
Don't eviscerate your ZB! You can probably buy a new one from Kevin Hatton for the same $$ as a conversion and sell yours to a tone freak to cover the cost.
Patrick
Tommy White

Post by Tommy White »

a few pics of Billy Knowles' work.
Last edited by Tommy White on 4 Mar 2015 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

that's beautiful. zb's have always been the prettiest steel and the finish always impressed me.

as for the changeability of a copedent though, it is interesting that from the beginning, the emmons design really allowed this option for it's time.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Tommy, that is beautiful and if I know Billy Knowles, it plays like a dream. Billy does great work.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
Henry Matthews

Post by Henry Matthews »

Patrick Ickes wrote:Steve,
When you are done making that ZB sound like every other "ZUM, Mullen, etc" guitar, please send your old parts to me so I can keep mine sounding like a ZB forever!
Don't eviscerate your ZB! You can probably buy a new one from Kevin Hatton for the same $$ as a conversion and sell yours to a tone freak to cover the cost.
Patrick
I changed one over to modern bells cranks and cross rods and could not tell any difference, if any thing, I think it sounded better with more sustain and played about 10 times better. Here's couple pics. Mine was the hornless model.
Henry Matthews

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.
steve takacs

Is tone really affected by a modern system ZB conversion?

Post by steve takacs »

Henry, I have known a Norwegian friend for years who has 4 ZBs and had one converted to a modern undercarriage and he says exactly the same; still sounds like a ZB. His name is Steinar Schroeder and is a member here. This guy cares mostly about tone from his guitars and has been helping me select an older ZB.

Steinar had Billy Knowles do a modern system on his and swears there is no tone difference. Unfortunately for me, Billy and Greg Jones don't want to do that change anymore.

I would rather have a lighter ZB if the tone is unaffected. Having had two hernias repaired have pointed me in that direction.

Erv, what would you say about tonal differences in the old system compared to your conversion?
Thank everyone for posting and I hope to here from more members. steve t
Fred Layman

ZB Steel Repair, etc

Post by Fred Layman »

Tom Bradshaw out in California is one of the foremost technicians for ZB repair and restorations. Pull up his web site to view his high quality work.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Steve,
I haven't tried out my ZB since I re-did it.
But I can tell you, it's not any lighter! I had two separate cases made for it and it's still heavy.
I'm going to try and post some pictures here soon, I hope.