If you were going to offer a beginner ONE piece of advice

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Neil Smith

If you were going to offer a beginner ONE piece of advice

Post by Neil Smith »

If you were going to offer a beginner ONE piece of advice what would it be ??
Jerome Hawkes

Post by Jerome Hawkes »

i think it would depend on the new students musical direction and goals.

i thought a little about this before i answered and can say that i strongly feel the ONE piece of advice i would give to a beginner is...
find the best teacher you can and don't attempt to figure this out on your own unless you intend/are willing to endure many years of frustration*

that advice would be directed to someone wanting to learn how to play the steel guitar. there are a lot of people who actually don't really want to 'learn' the steel guitar, just have some fun messing around, or as a 3rd or 4th instrument they play in curiosity, or they are just playing slide guitar with a band on a few tunes. nothing wrong with any of these...btw

*needless to say a great teacher does not make up for desire/dedication in a student. a strong desire + a great teacher will make for amazing progress.
'65 Sho-Bud D-10 Permanent • '54 Fender Dual-8 • Clinesmith T-8 • '38 Ric Bakelite • '92 Emmons D-10 Legrande II
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

I'd offer a quote from one of our dear departed fomites Steinar Gregertsen, "Play to express, not to impress"
Dom Franco

Post by Dom Franco »

Pick one tuning (with a 6th in it) so you can play minor and major triads and start playing along with every song you hear.

If you have friends that play, jam with them, if not play with CD's, records, youtube etc.

When you see the logical patterns that chord progressions make on the fretboard you will soon be able to play almost any song in any key.

Dom :)
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I agree with Jerome: Get a good teacher to get you started in the right direction
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Don't give up. It's more frustrating than some instruments, but rewarding in equal portions.
Excel D10 8&4, Supro 8, Regal resonator, Peavey Powerslide, homemade lap 12(a work in progress)
Niels Andrews

Post by Niels Andrews »

Ignore 98% of what you read on the forum.
Die with Memories. Not Dreams.
Good Stuff like Zum S-12, Wolfe Resoport
MSA SS-12, Telonics Combo.
Fred Justice

Post by Fred Justice »

Buy a horse.
No, just kidding of course.
Buying and learning to play a steel guitar will be one of the biggest and best experiences of your life.
Enjoy the ride. :D
Last edited by Fred Justice on 24 Jan 2015 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Email: azpedalman@gmail.com
Phone: 480-235-8797
Doug Beaumier

Post by Doug Beaumier »

I agree with most of the above. I especially like Dom's idea. Pick one of the time-tested, standard tunings, preferably a 6th tuning and stick with that tuning until you learn the chord positions, the harmonized scales, slants, etc. inside and out before moving on to another tuning. And Start on 6 strings.
Jeff Porter

Post by Jeff Porter »

Only one?
Call John McClung.
"I make dozens of dollars a year playing music."
Bill Liscomb

Post by Bill Liscomb »

Beppe Gambetta says: "Practice! Practice! Practice!" I guess he said it three times 'cause I always forget the middle part….
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

Don't quit your day job! :mrgreen:
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Jack Hanson

Re: If you were going to offer a beginner ONE piece of advic

Post by Jack Hanson »

Neil Smith wrote:If you were going to offer a beginner ONE piece of advice what would it be ??
Take up golf instead.
Jim Hoock

Post by Jim Hoock »

From a beginner...concentrate on technique at every practice session. That "sound" will magically appears on it's own.
Fender FS-52
1960 Fender Deluxe 8
2014 GeorgeBoards S8 Koa
1968 D8 Stringmaster
Randall, Fender, Crate
Working my way thru the Jerry Byrd Instruction
Jonathan Lam

Post by Jonathan Lam »

Choose music, choose tuning based on music.
Larry Carlson

Post by Larry Carlson »

Well, I am a beginner and the one thing I didn't expect to need was therapy. :(
I have stuff.
I try to make music with it.
Sometimes it works.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
David Matzenik

Post by David Matzenik »

Neil, there are some many factors that need to mesh that it is hard to come up with one that should come first. So while it may not be number one, I would advise you not to worry about dropping the bar. Just pick it up and start again. One day you will turn around and say, Gee, I haven't dropped the bar in while.
Don't go in the water after lunch. You'll get a cramp and drown. - Mother.
Rob Anderlik

Post by Rob Anderlik »

My advice would be to follow your own inspiration as a starting point and take it from there. In other words, follow your muse, not someone else's! There is nothing more powerful than your own determination to learn to play an instrument. Once you've made up your mind on what you're after the rest of the pieces will fall into place.

It takes a lot of time and effort for most folks to really learn how to play an instrument. Students who start with a fire in the belly, who are self motivated, tend to do better and go further than students who rely on others to provide direction.

The world is filled with books on dieting, retirement planning and learning to play lap steel guitar. So many options and methods! A motivated student can learn something from even a bad teacher whereas there are many, many students who struggle to learn from a great teacher because they lack the will to succeed
Quentin Hickey

Post by Quentin Hickey »

If you dont already have general music theory knowledge, go out and acquire some. It will save you time and sanity in the long run.
Bill Leff

Post by Bill Leff »

Don' t fear the slant.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

It's great if you have access to a good teacher but many don't. However, there are many good web teaching videos as well as Skype lessons with master players - like John Ely - that are available.

The two key things I'd say are: blocking and intonation. What you learn to not play is as important or more important than what you do play. There is a fractional difference between heaven and hell on steel guitar so it's critical to listen to yourself to tune-up properly and make sure what you play is in tune. It's really, really easy to over emphasize the "slidiness" of the instrument. It's one of the most fun things about playing steel but good players control that aspect. Oh yeah, and have fun! It's called playing music!

Guess that was more than one idea. :)
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I believe that getting involved on a "eat & sleep playing steel" attitude is what it will take to really learn. Playing scales might be great for learning piano, but I consider it a waste of time on a steel guitar.
About tunings: Jumping all over the available tunings will make you "master of none" If it's all types of music, the C6th seems to be the all-around tuning. C#m7th. is a beautiful tuning, but quite limited for a lot of music genres, but a nice one to know in a secondary way.

On the other hand, maybe what Niels Andrews said is good advice..."ignore 98% of what you read on the forum ( this one )!

:D :D
Mike Neer

Post by Mike Neer »

This is the one thing I would tell a beginner, and Ira Glass has told it so well, so listen to him:

http://youtu.be/PbC4gqZGPSY
Jim Newberry

Post by Jim Newberry »

That's golden, Mike.
"The Masher of Touch and Tone"

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6