Con Hunley - Mike Johnson steel

Steel guitar web sites, videos and recordings on the Internet

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rick Campbell

Con Hunley - Mike Johnson steel

Post by Rick Campbell »

One of my favorite country singers and favorite country songs of all time. Notice the unique lick by Mike Johnson and how it got the band's (especially Jimmy Capps) attention. Con can put more feeling in a song than anyone. Con is one of the few singers that can sing several styles of music and do them all well. I've worked some with Con and watched a lot of his shows and he always has something to please everyone.....and he does it without the aid of light shows, fog machines, etc.... If there's ever been the real deal entertainer, it's Con Hunley.

http://youtu.be/XSg5a2JndTg

RC
Rod Robichaud

Post by Rod Robichaud »

Ahhh. You just gotta love that Emmons!

Rod
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

Thanks for posting the link. Mike Johnson sounds so good on any steel and I love to hear Con Hunley sing with such feeling. Yeah, the guys in the band perked up on Mikes solo.
Jim Eller

Post by Jim Eller »

Heck Rick, I play licks like that all the time, by accident. I figure if ya do 'um twice in a row, folks think that's the way it is suppose to be.
Gary Watson

Mike Johnson

Post by Gary Watson »

There's only one word to discribe Mike....A-W-S-O-M-E!!
Show Pro,SD-10,3x5 1996 Emmons Legrande II 3x5, 1976 Emmons P/P 3x4 BJS Bar Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey 112, '76 Fender Twin, and Steeler's Choice Sidekick.
Roy Peterman

Post by Roy Peterman »

Con sang his butt off, Mike played a great turn-around, and had that great tone on his Emmons! That is what Country Music is, and so little we hear today.
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

I Have To Agree With Roy. Con Hunley Sings The
"Real Country Music". 8)

Roger
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Mike is just about the King of steel guitar tone these days. He works so hard to get that tone, regardless of which guitar he plays. I love that Family Reunion band, they are all such great players.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Infinity SD10 (4+5) Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

Excellent vocals, excellent back up band. This is real country music. There is more emotion in this one performance than in all the music being played on country radio today. I think Mike is my favorite working steel player these days.
Tony Dingus

Post by Tony Dingus »

I love it and Mike Johnson is awesome and what a singer Con is.

Tony
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

I thought you guys would enjoy this one. I know Mike Johnson must feel honored to be recognize by some here as the top working steel player in Nashville. I've followed Mike's playing ever since his Bill Anderson days and I've never failed to be impressed. His status as band leader and music director on several nationally syndicated TV productions is indicative that his talents are not just limited to a seemingly unlimited supply of tasteful steel guitar licks. If Mike is not Hall Of Fame material, I don't know who is.

RC
chris ivey

Re: Mike Johnson

Post by chris ivey »

Gary Watson wrote:There's only one word to discribe Mike....A-W-S-O-M-E!!
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

What can you say - that is simply beautiful. Gave me chills! :D :D :D

Kind Regards, Walter
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

A bump for Con and Mike.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

Wow!
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

Told ya Clyde!
Asa Brosius

Post by Asa Brosius »

That break was exquisite- but I was distracted by what looks like a dollar menu hamburger on Mike's C6 tuner head...
Tim Tyner

Post by Tim Tyner »

I think it is a leather pouch for bar and picks.Sure
didnt distract me any.Jimmy played perfect intro and fills as always.What a great band!
Desmond Johnson

Post by Desmond Johnson »

The lick that got everyones attention is a 4 sharp 7th to a 5 7th on strings 4,5 + 6. Use of a slide from one fret to another adds flavor to the pedals and Mike uses it all the time. He also likes the BC pedals in Hughey land. His 2012 album is a masterpiece.
Desmond Johnson
Rick Campbell

Post by Rick Campbell »

From an earlier post I did in 2010. Same song, same Con..... But Herby Wallace this time.

Posted 27 Aug 2010 9:08 pm
Ok, here's one of the best country songs ever written and a top notch performance by my neighbors Con Hunley and Herby Wallace on steel..... LIVE!!!!!!! I've got the CD with some of Nashville's finest on the session, but to my ears, they don't even come close to this performance. Listen particularly to the lick Herby does on the first chorus where it goes to the 2 chord, and the fantastic break. So much taste and feeling in this song and the lyrics hit home to so many people. To me this is as close to the perfect country music performance as I ever expect to hear.

If you listen to the lyrics of this song and it doesn't pull on your emotions, then you are obviously not a country music fan!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qkwl7TquDw

RC