Steve Howe Tabs?

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Jeff Bibb

Steve Howe Tabs?

Post by Jeff Bibb »

Hi Folks:

I am new here, and like the site a lot. Lots of good information out here.

Just curious if anyone has seen any transcriptions for any Steve Howe / Yes songs? I know that he plays a lot in regular open E, but I would like to find some good tabs if they are out there. In particular, "And You and I" is a dynamite song for his slide work.

Thanks for the help.

Jeff
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

You'll find fans of Steve Howe's and David Gilmour's steel guitar work, but tabs will be very hard to come by here. Wish I could point you in the right direction.

Isn't he mostly playing long glissandos with delay? Maybe there's more to it than that. Been awhile since I listened to that track. Close to the Edge is a fantastic album.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Steve usually plays in standard guitar tuning.
Steel Guitar Books! Website: www.volkmediabooks.com
Jeff Bibb

Post by Jeff Bibb »

Thanks for the info. guys.

Andy, your slide book looms very intersting. Might have to look into a copy of that.

In an interview I read with Steve Howe, he indicated that he mostly played steel in open E. Maybe I read it wrong.

Anyway, guess I will resort to watching concert footage and listening as carefully as possible to see if I can pick up any of his licks.

David Gilmour... wow, there is another rock monster. Can't say enough about his tasteful playing.

Thanks,

Jeff
Don Griffiths

Post by Don Griffiths »

You got it right Jeff. Listen closely and play along . Train your ear . I believe " And You and I " is mostly single note runs , meaning no chords with exception of the outro. Haven't figured that out yet.
Shobud Pro1,BMI U12, Santa Cruz F, PRS Standard, Fender Twin Reverb, ‘53 000-28
Jim Wilmoth

Post by Jim Wilmoth »

He uses delay (not sure which), volume pedal and a Danelectro Daddy-O overdrive on the steel.