Difference in tone of various Ricks w/ horseshoe PU?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Cunningham

Difference in tone of various Ricks w/ horseshoe PU?

Post by Steve Cunningham »

I've never played a Rickenbacker...is there a big difference between various, horseshoe PU-equipped models? Particularly the Electros and B6's.
Thanks in advance.
John Dahms

Post by John Dahms »

Is there a difference between a Gibson Les Paul, an L5CES, an SG or an ES335? They all have humbucking pickups.
Of course there is a family resemblance but the body shapes the tone in its own way. The same is true of old Rics.
Some people like one type better than another but they all have that very strong Ric foundation. It is good any way you can get it.
Time flies like an eagle
Fruit flies like a banana.
Gary S. Lynch

Rics

Post by Gary S. Lynch »

I have had 5 rics. Loved the NS with the 1and 1/4 pickup.. Great sound but... I
love my 1938 B6 with the the 1and 1/2". If I had to do over would buy that first and be done if I could own only one!
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

There's a tremendous difference, not just between the various models, but between different examples of a particular type. Even two bakelite steels from the same year, for example, can have a markedly different tone, and the various design changes made over the years (lower profile neck, tailpiece rather than strings through the body, etc.) changed the sound significantly. Each of the different models has its own basic sound, though, and they're all great in their own way. The frying pans and pre-war bakelites are the most popular for good reason, but I get as much use out of my Silver Hawaiian and Academy as I do my Model B's. Anything with the horseshoe pickup is worth a listen, and some of the cheaper wood body steels often go for just a few hundred bucks on eBay.
Gary S. Lynch

Post by Gary S. Lynch »

You right Ian. I tend to get over zealous on the B6 model.
I had a blue Ric Ace which had a great Bluesy high end steel sound. I also have a 36 epiphone model m with 1 and 1/2 horseshoe... Very nice but deeper woody tone.
Got them both off bay in the past couple years with combined less cost than my B6.
I also sold a ric model 100 with a nice blended tone..
All great intro guitars...
Tom Gray

Post by Tom Gray »

Steve, I've got a shameful number of Ricks: 6-, 7-, 8- and 10-strings, prewar, postwar, bakelite, frypans, stamped metal and console. If you'd like to come over and try them some time just give me a call.
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

Gary: It's hard not to be zealous about the Model B's. They're such great sounding instruments, and so beautiful, too. I have pre-war six- and seven-strings. The six has a rather more forceful, bass-rich sound, but the seven is the one with the "moan" that's unique to these instruments. I do think that all the attention Model B's and frying pans get is sometimes unfairly at the expense of some of the other models, though. I have a Silver Hawaiian that takes on all comers as a blues and rock guitar, but without overdrive it has a remarkably sweet tone perfect for Hawaiian or country. I also recently got a near-mint Academy and it's become one of my favorite guitars. The Academy is bakelite, too, and has the same 22" scale, but is almost three inches shorter and only two-thirds the thickness of a Model B. The lower weight means less bass response, but it makes up for that with a crystalline high end and unbelievable sustain - as good, in fact, as my Sierra Lap Top.