Extend Scale Length on a Fender Champ or Studio Deluxe

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Daniel Foster

Extend Scale Length on a Fender Champ or Studio Deluxe

Post by Daniel Foster »

I know this is a bit weird, but I was thinking about this as I was looking at the bridge plate assembly on my White Studio Deluxe. It looks like you could add another inch of scale length by moving the bridge back to the mounting tabs or possibly even behind them. These steels seem to be a little bright and thin sounding, and this would give a little extra scale length for a possibly bigger tone as well as putting more distance between the pickup and the bridge to warm it up a bit. Neither of these changes would probably be much by itself, but together it could be an improvement. It would also increase downward pressure from the strings on the bridge, possibly increasing sustain. You would obviously need to replace the fret board.

Has anyone ever seen or tried this? I really have no plans to do it, as I am probably overlooking something obvious. I just got curious about the idea of it.

I'm kind of new at the world of lap steels, so this could be a ridiculous idea. :)

Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Where are you going to find a new fretboard? :whoa:
Daniel Foster

Post by Daniel Foster »

That's a great question isn't it? Maybe have one custom made. I have not figured that out yet. :)
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

I know you said you're not gonna try this, but just bringing the subject up begs the question, so I feel compelled to add my 2 cents.

It is a ridiculous idea.

If you want a guitar with a longer scale length, buy a guitar with a longer scale length; there are several builders online who would be more than happy to do this for you. Especially for the money you could get for the White. But don't butcher a vintage guitar, especially a rare one like a White, for your experiment.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Daniel Foster

Post by Daniel Foster »

Taking the springs off the bridge screws and backing it up against the mounting tabs doesn’t harm anything. Putting the bridge behind the mounting tabs doesn’t harm anything either. I’m sure there are some non-destructive, reversible ways of doing a new fret board, as well. I know Georgeboards makes them out of vinyl, for instance. The whole point of my “experiment” is that it doesn’t hurt the guitar. I was fascinated by how much space Leo left between the bridge and the string mounting holes as compared to a lot of other designs. There seems to be an opinion on these guitars that theu sound thin and lack sustain. I thought moving the bridge back might help in three different ways without actually modifying the lap steel itself.

In fact, I’m putting a different pickup in it and I’m doing a whole new wiring harness as to not disturb the original pickup, pots and wiring in any way. I won’t even break the original solder points much less “butcher” it in any way.

My question about it being ridiculous was more about if it would even work or would it be worth the trouble.

I do have a guitar with a longer scale.
Tom Pettingill

Post by Tom Pettingill »

... this would give a little extra scale length for a possibly bigger tone as well as putting more distance between the pickup and the bridge to warm it up a bit.
I think your assumptions are correct and being that you can test in a non destructive manner, its certainly worth giving it a go.
I'd suggest first setting the bridge, measure the new scale distance, then use a program like FretFind to make / print out a new temporary fretboard for testing http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/
Daniel Foster

Post by Daniel Foster »

Thanks. Without actually moving the bridge, I measured where it looks like it would fall. The scale would be 23 ½, which is a bit odd. . An extra inch of scale, warmer pickup tone, and greater string pressure over the bridge could add up to something. Maybe I’ll try it some day when I’m feeling adventurous.