Sour note sounded at the convention

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Steve Hitsman

Sour note sounded at the convention

Post by Steve Hitsman »

The solidarity of our steel guitar family has always seemed significant and a source of pride to me. Widely disparate political, religious, etc., attitudes, have always been ignored at the convention. Old hippies and hillbillies, agnostics, atheists, fundamentalists, liberals, conservatives, Republicans, Democrats... all shoulder-to-shoulder while in attendance and ignoring all social divisions and stratifications, mutually respectful and joined together in our appreciation of our instrument. Therefore, it's troubling when a performer uses the main stage as a political platform, expressing personal opinions and stating as fact a contention that is patently false. Even if I'm in agreement with the position or conviction, I feel that this is a bad precedent, especially considering the dwindling number of attendees. We don't need to unnecessarily turn marginalized people off and dissuade them from future attendance. Just my two cents worth.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Being as I was in the sound booth over 95% of the show, I am not sure what you are referring to being said on the stage.

Would you please either post or send me a private message?

Thanks,
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
George Rozak

Post by George Rozak »

I wouldn't go so far as to say that political and religious issues have always been ignored at the convention. I can think of many other instances where both have been referenced by players from the main stage over the past 41 years.

I'm fairly certain I know who and what you're referring to, and I certainly wouldn't call it a sour note or patently false. I sought him out afterwards, shook his hand, and thanked him for his sincerity, his honesty, and his patriotism. What he said came straight from the heart.
Sho-Bud: Professional & Fingertip
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

I think they still call that freedom of speech.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.
Bill Lowe

Post by Bill Lowe »

It worked for me...........
JCH D10, 71 D10 P/p fat back, Telonics TCA 500C--12-,Fender JBL Twin, Josh Swift signature.
Joel Martin

Post by Joel Martin »

here is a picture of The President with his hand over his heart. There are hundreds on the internet just like it.
The President has also never said - that I can find- that the military shouldn't vote.
Ron played some amazing pedal steel, but his statements about Obama were not accurate.
We all love this country, our service men and veterans and want a great place to live.
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/IBcRdPHE ... rack+Obama
1968 ZB D11
1965 Vibrolux Reverb
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Too many racist's out in the world,we need to focus on the future ,not the past.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

Johnny Cox wrote:I think they still call that freedom of speech.
Yes but there is a time & a place for it,I wasn't there so I can't comment only to say save the political stuff for the appropriate time & place.
Paul King

Post by Paul King »

There is a time and place for such comments. I was not there so I have no idea what was said. When you have a mixed crowd of citizens it is just not the place to make comments about political views. One of the worst places is in church and I have seen that as well.
Bill Ferguson

Post by Bill Ferguson »

Well, I was there. Did not catch it at the convention (I was very busy in the sound booth), but have since listened to the recording.

I don't often speak politics or religion in public, however, I am about to start.

I think that the citizens and Christians in this country need to start speaking out. I am tired of people trying to stomp the American way into the ground.

"Stand UP America"
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

In posting this, my concern was not about whose position is right or wrong but rather about the universal appeal of the convention and the potential for marginalization of attendees with positions contrary to the majority. Since the post appears to have the potential of inciting a political pissing contest, perhaps it would be better to take this thread down.