Jump Start Academy Information Sessions

Archived for historical reference

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Bryce Velasco

Lefty Schrage

Jump Start Academy Information Sessions

Post by Lefty Schrage »

Appreciation is expressed to everyone who attended the Jump Start Academy information meetings sponsored by the NE IA Steel Guitar Show on Friday and Saturday. Thanks are also extended to Scotty for announcing the meetings in the convention program and the staff in the Russler Steel Guitar Room for allowing us to use their space and equipment; and Roger Miller, Randy Weideman, and John Recknor for their help during the presentations.

The meetings were held to share information about the Jump Start Academy, i.e., a program that currently offers students instruction and a pedal steel free for one year. The goal of the information sessions was to encourage others across the U.S. and Canada to pursue a similar program to increase the number of individuals playing steel. Lively interaction about the need for such a program was exchanged between attendees from IL, CA, LA, AR, NJ, OR, CO, GA, KY, VA, TX, MO, KS, NE, IA, and Canada. Anyone wanting more information is encouraged to contact us at www.steelguitarjam.com or via the Forum.

Some individuals attending the information meetings are currently looking for help in learning to play steel. If you or anyone you know might be interested in assisting these individuals, let us know and we will put you in contact with them. They are located in the following geographic areas:
--St Louis, MO (approx 35 miles east)
--Columbia, MO
--Toronto, CA (approx one hour north)

Similar information meetings are being considered for next year’s convention and we hope you will make plans to join us.
Joshua Gibson

Post by Joshua Gibson »

Lefty, I have nothing but the utmost respect for what You're doing, I firmly agree with everything that this program stands for...We need to keep this Instrument alive any way that We can, Myself, John and Randy spoke about this more after I returned to the Russler room and I am planning on working on something out this way,

it was a pleasure to meet and speak with You Lefty,
Thank You for all that You are doing to try and keep PSG alive and kickin',

Sincerely:
Joshua S Gibson.
'83 Mullen custom D-10 8x5.
Mesa Lonestar classic 112 custom cab.
Session 400 Ltd, Nashville 1000,
Telonics, Zoom, BJS,
Goldtone BS, LITM, OS Dobros.
Fender, G&L, Gibson, Ibanez guitars.
Joel Martin

Post by Joel Martin »

Lefty, it was such a pleasure to meet you and learn about this program. It's just fantastic that you're doing this. Lets stay in touch, I would love to help in any way I can!

Cheers
Joel
1968 ZB D11
1965 Vibrolux Reverb
Lefty Schrage

Post by Lefty Schrage »

Joshua and Joel,
It was certainly a pleasure for us to meet and visit with you about the possibilities of initiating steel guitar instructional programs across the U.S. and Canada. We were also very pleased to see the enthusiastic response from all those who attended the informational sessions Friday and Saturday. Hopefully a number of similar programs will get off the ground in the near future. Stay in touch and let us know if there is anything we can do to help.
...lefty