Controlling Volume at a Jam

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Alan Tanner

Controlling Volume at a Jam

Post by Alan Tanner »

I am curious about your opinions on this. There is a local jam/lunch that goes on every week around here. Often times, in fact MOST times, the volume is excruciatingly LOUD. The P.A. gets so loud that it is starting to distort, and there is one steeler who just PILES it on and plays over everyone most of the time, and the rhythm section is so loud that it just sounds like a mud hole. Some of us play in a band together, and we like each others company and use the jam as a kind of "loosening up" session.Plus, the steeler from our band and I use it to bounce new ideas and tunes off of each other. However, after the jam yesterday, I woke up this A.M. with my ears ringing again. I hate this when it happens. Sometime back I stopped going to the jam for a year or two because of the volume problem. I would like to hear (see lol) suggestions on volume control at a jam. I attended another steel guitar jam a couple of times around the area, and it was the same. Loud, piercing, uncontrolled volume, and getting louder with each player taking his turn. I KNOW my hearing is not that great, but at my age I want to retain what I DO have. The next move I make will prolly be to avoid the get together but I hate to do that. Ideas???????
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Hang it up dude !
Life's too short to have to have your hearing ruined by a bunch of deaf people !
LMAO
Roger Miller

Post by Roger Miller »

Nothing disturbs me more is a out of control jam. I don't participate so I can leave when I want. I was told one time to only play when it is my turn, I was offended then I realized he was right even though there were 4 musicians on stage. Gotta start somewhere, so just let everyone know that you'll leave if it gets out of control
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

Most of the time when I did them (usually for a benefit or a favor return)it was my own band and we never tried to blow anyone off the stage..Most of the time we tried to showcase what we had and stuck to a tight set..Most Jams were on a Sunday after the Bands had got home about 3 in the A.M. so what shape the pickers were in was always funny..Usually Jams are better at the beginning before the Liquor starts to control the crowd,Musicians and the music..We all know the Club owners found out how to take advantage of the situation and had them scheduled about every Sunday..Luckily we were booked most Sundays..
Ellis Miller

Post by Ellis Miller »

Been there, done that! Don't go there and don't do that so much anymore.

Doubtful things will change, so stay when you are having fun and leave when you are not.
Ellis Miller
Don't believe everything you think.
http://www.ellismillermusic.com
Michael Robertson

Post by Michael Robertson »

CrowBear Schmitt wrote:Hang it up dude !
Life's too short to have to have your hearing ruined by a bunch of deaf people !
LMAO
Yep
No Avatar only a picture of my Mentor.
Dave Hopping

Post by Dave Hopping »

Paying to burn gas,daylight,one's hearing and one's good disposition so some bar can make money?

Uhhh...no.
Ray Harrison

Post by Ray Harrison »

In my younger days, Jams were a great place to make contacts and meet different musicians, find replacements for bandmembers and such.
I learned a lot at jam sessions as a young man, copying chords or bass runs, styles and such.

When the volume is too loud:
It doesn't help anything to destroy your hearing, and you'll not learn a thing, except not to show up.
Ray Harrison
Bass/sing/Love PSG
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Bring in some sheet music. :lol:
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

If I brought in sheet music, I would also have to supply crayons and I am not willing to do that.....
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

Jams are just that in my experience. Potluck. The occasional satisfying one with professional attitudes etc. is rare. Generally the overall volume is way above my tolerance threshold.

I visited my friends at one last evening. Probably more a show than a jam but with rotating musicians etc.

One fellow plays such terrific guitar, but it's so loud and overbearing as to be exclusive if you're on stage with him. He doesn't just know the stuff, he plays it verbatim many times. Can play it country, rock, blues or jazz.

I love to listen to him play from an audience setting but I hate playing with him because you never know when or where he's going to take over. Sure, you can outloud him but I don't enjoy those kind of battles personally, so mostly, I just sit out when he's in house.

Many of these folks are my friends who I respect and admire, so rather than irritate myself with the goings-on onstage, I generally prefer to sit out and kibitz with the other folks I know there. Listen and encourage the musicians, singers and I'm OK with that. Other times, a cluster of like minded folks are in attendance and I enjoy making music with them tremendously.
Alan Tanner

Post by Alan Tanner »

Update...well I tried it again. Last week was a great time. Mr. Steel Guitar let everyone take a turn in most of the tunes, volume was very comfortable, and everyone, including the crowd, mentioned how good it sounded and how they enjoyed it. Folks stayed until the end. This week was back to the same ol' crap. Mr. Steel Guitar playing over everybody ALL THE TIME this week. He was playing super loud and to make matters worse, was about 1/8 too high in his tuning. He even complained that he could not hear the singer and bass player. I guess not. Plus we lost the crowd early again. Anyway, I guess I'm done. As much as I like playing with the guys and having a "pickin," beak during the week, the aggravation is too much. Jams are supposed to be fun with everyone taking a turn and generally enjoying each other. This guy had some friends there and I guess he found the need to dominate everything and show off.. It sure would have been way more impressive if he was in tune with the rest of the group. I know he does this stuff on purpose, but what I don't understand is the motivation behind such behavior. Oh well...lesson learned and if myself and the other feller don't go, he will get to play EVERYTHING himself.