VIDEO....String - Pull Lesson in Open E

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Steve Cunningham

VIDEO....String - Pull Lesson in Open E

Post by Steve Cunningham »

This is my first attempt at a lesson video...using half-step string pulls to play sus4, augmented, and minor 6th chords in Open E.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3YJVJvBOBU

I hope someone finds it helpful.
Brian Hunter

Post by Brian Hunter »

More please! This is great!
Brian
Joe Snow

Post by Joe Snow »

Thanks. I appreciate any and all tips coming from you. I'm part of the minority that plays a lot in E, and have great admiration and respect for all the music I've seen you put out there.
Carl Mesrobian

Post by Carl Mesrobian »

Steve:

Thanks! It's great to see you do a Charlie Parker tune and then this! Myself, I often feel like a chameleon - glad to see I'm not alone. Keep 'em coming :)
--carl

"The better it gets, the fewer of us know it." Ray Brown
Kelvin Monaghan

Post by Kelvin Monaghan »

This is awesome Steve, been trying to get my bends together by listening to your CD,s this is a great help.
Cheers
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Great video Steve. When I know that I am going to do some extensive string pulling, I use a modified sewing thimble.

I have been using and practicing and pulling the strings for about four years now. It took some time to learn just how far to pull the strings to keep them lively and not end up with that dead sound and most importantly, "on key". That's why I use a metal thimble.

Mike Neer is an expert at it. It's an entirely new world in playing the non-pedal steel guitar.
Steve Cunningham

Post by Steve Cunningham »

Thanks guys.
I just got that Supro a couple of weeks ago...a 22.5" scale strung with what feels like a .012 or .013 on top. I think I prefer doing pulls on my no-name 26" scale with a .014 on top. It's a struggle not to pull the 3rd string sharp for those sus4 chords. It must be my buff left hand pinkie. :P