I Can't Stop Laughing Long Enough to Learn PickBlocking

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bo Legg

I Can't Stop Laughing Long Enough to Learn PickBlocking

Post by Bo Legg »

I thought I'd give you a few exerps from this new book Stuart is putting together for me.
From the notes: "I guess I'm from the older than dirt school where I pretty much understood you blocked with anything you were capable of reaching the strings with including your private parts".
Stuart Legg

fig1

Post by Stuart Legg »

Figure 1: This is the way Bo bends his picks for PickBlocking

Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

This is the way Bo blocks with his fingernails

Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

This is the way Bo blocks with his bar hand thumb or the way Paul Franklin makes his PSG sound like a Marimba

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

:D :D :lol: :lol:
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
b0b

Post by b0b »

What are you trying to do, put us marimba players out of work? :x
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Somebody just had to say that my pickblocking and Paul's are nowhere alike except the Marimba part.
Unlike Paul I don't believe I could ever get my 3rd and 4th fingers to find an unblocked string while I'm picking with my thumb and other two fingers.
I can't even get my 3rd and 4th fingers to join in while I'm trying to scratch my rear.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Just think b0b you never have to drag your Marimba along to a gig anymore if you learn pickblocking Bo's way.
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

Stuart now that you have given away most of my secrets the common masses will have the where with all to play at a level approaching Paul Franklin and myself.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

I Love this post..... really brightened my day!
1970 P/P Emmons D10 flatback 8x5, BJS Bar, J F picks, Peavey Session 500, Telonics pedal. Boss GX700 effects.
David Scheidler

Post by David Scheidler »

The Steel Guitar Academy website offers a third technique called "knuckle blocking". Yeah, that's going to be real easy to do. I tried it out. Less movement than palm blocking but not very intuitive. Anyone out there using their knuckles to dampen strings?

http://steelguitaramerica.com/instructi ... king.shtml
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

Don't forget "butt blocking", although this technique usually involves audience participation.. :lol: (happened to me once in Roswell,NM) :alien:
Scott Duckworth

Post by Scott Duckworth »

Along with the pick, knuckle and butt blocking, if your feet and knees are lazy, you can just pull the strings behind the bar and for get the pedals and knees...
Amateur Radio Operator NA4IT (Extra)
http://www.qsl.net/na4it

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

whichever of you clowns is the artist, you're getting very good at drawing fingers. especially the first finger.
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Yes to knuckle blocking. I never learned to keep my little finger straight so blocking is done with the heel of the hand, the curled under tops of the ring and little fingers, picks and knuckles -- I don't think about it but just use what is available. The weakness is that between the heel of the hand and tip of the curled little finger I sometimes get a little archway that misses its blocking assignment.
Chris Lucker
Red Bellies, Bigsbys and a lot of other guitars.
Stuart Legg

Post by Stuart Legg »

Storm love your Butt Blocking that would go perfectly with my Butt Braille Tab that lets you concentrate on your Steel playing while you sit on the tab!
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:idea: ... :lol:
Michael Hummel

Post by Michael Hummel »

I'm almost exactly like Chris L. I have my ring finger tucked under and use it and its knuckle to block. I find it easier to have my little finger stretched out. I also have the little "arch" where strings sometimes fit and don't get blocked.

For some bizarre reason, starting out as a 6-string player (where right hand palm blocking, at least of chords, is de rigueur) I found palm blocking on pedal steel to be completely unnatural and did everything with pick blocking. I've been working on it really hard and now I find I use some weird kind of hybrid. Like most folks, I guess.
MSA Classic 5+4
Too many 6-strings and amps to list
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Stuart Legg wrote:Storm love your Butt Blocking that would go perfectly with my Butt Braille Tab that lets you concentrate on your Steel playing while you sit on the tab!
Would that be similar to Nut Blocking? :\
Storm Rosson

Post by Storm Rosson »

:?: Prolly depends on your anatomy :lol:
Bo Legg

Post by Bo Legg »

To get back on subject I am working on getting my 3rd and 4th finger to move with the 2nd finger like they are webbed together.
It is hard to break old habits that you've used for years.
I wonder if I could seu the guy that put out that course I learned pick blocking from?
David Scheidler

Post by David Scheidler »

Bo:

Sorry if I hijacked your original post. I made the mistake of replying to your link to this thread. Look at the trouble I've caused!

I guess enough practice can undo any "bad" habit, although it is challenging to undo muscle memory. The best case scenario is probably to learn a combination of blocking techniques and use the one(s) that works best for the song or lick you're playing.
Mickey Adams

Post by Mickey Adams »

Am I the guy with lots of lessons and no complete songs?...LMAO....Its not that I will lose any sleep tonight, my girlfriend just wants to know.... :\ :\
ARTIST RELATIONS: MSA GUITARS
2017 MSA LEGEND XL D10, S10, Studio Pro S12 EXE9
Mullen G2, Rittenberry S10, Infinity D10, Zumsteel 8+9
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!
Ian Rae

Post by Ian Rae »

Chris Lucker wrote:I sometimes get a little archway that misses its blocking assignment.
Just picking up on the one serious point (I'm boring like that) - I am working on blocking the Jeff Newman way. The hand is well forward with the fingers coming back on themselves, so that that gap is less likely to coincide with a struck string. Also keeping the elbow in and relaxed seems to help. Not sure why - maybe it just deadens the weight of the hand a little.

If you want to know what problems the other creases in your palm are likely to cause, you should consult your local palmist.
Make sleeping dogs tell the truth!
Homebuilt keyless U12 7x5, Excel keyless U12 8x8, Williams keyless U12 7x8, Telonics rack and 15" cabs
John Billings

Post by John Billings »

I could never play with my picks bent like that. Mine are basically straight, and only stick out an 1/8 or so beyond the flesh. I pick very firmly.
Dr. Z Surgical Steel amp, amazing!
"74 Bud S-10 3&6
'73 Bud S-10 3&5(under construction)
'63 Fingertip S-10, at James awaiting 6 knees
'57 Strat, LP Blue
'91 Tele with 60's Maple neck
Dozen more guitars!
Dozens of amps, but SF Quad reverb, Rick Johnson cabs. JBL 15, '64 Vibroverb for at home.
'52 and '56 Pro Amps