GFI expo RKL G# to F#

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel McCombe

GFI expo RKL G# to F#

Post by Daniel McCombe »

hey everybody. I have a question regaurding my set up on a used expo I just bought. It seems that my RKL is set up to lower my 6th 2nd and 9th strings. I believe with a 1/2 stop on my 2nd and 6th strings. This is the first guitar I have owned with the 1/2 stop feature so im alittle in the dark. So heres my question. I changed my 6th string and now my knee lever will not drop the G# to an F# the furthest I can get it is to an F, and the nylons wont go any further. How do I get my whole step back? I know it had something to do with me changing the string, but I just can't tell what. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also my RKR raises my 1st and 7th strings to G.
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

I'm no expert but I ran into the same problem awhile back & I moved the pull rod up a hole on the bell crank,you may have to do that too.
Lane Gray

Post by Lane Gray »

Right. You'll either have to go back to the other string gauge or give that pull more leverage.
Your right knee setup as a whole sounds odd to me, but I'm a bit odd myself.
You just don't see the 6th move with two and 9 often.
2 pedal steels, a lapStrat, and an 8-string Dobro (and 3 ukes)
More amps than guitars, and not many effects
Ransom Beers

Post by Ransom Beers »

I had mine set up with a lower on 6 to F# & 9 to C# & raise 2 to E but I don't use the 9 lower & just backed the tuning nut off so as not to engage it.It gets a bluesy sound kinda like a minor,hell I can't play country all that well & darn sure can't play blues on this thing.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

The factory setup on the GFI's (my wife has a GFI Expo S-10) is to have the RKL Raise the 1st string a whole tone, Raise the 2nd string a half tone and Lower the 6th string a full tone.

The RKR lowers the 2nd string a full tone with a 1/2 tone "feel stop" provided by the 9th string 1/2 tone lower.

LKL raises the E strings 1/2 tone and LKR lowers the E strings 1/2 tone.

A .020 plain string for the 6th string is what is used so you can lower a full tone without any problems.
GFI Ultra Keyless S-10 with pad (Black of course) TB202 amp, Hilton VP, Steelers Choice sidekick seat, SIT Strings (all for sale as package)
Cakewalk by Bandlab and Studio One V4.6 pro DAWs, MOTU Ultralite MK5 recording interface unit
Jerry Overstreet

Post by Jerry Overstreet »

You say the problem began when you changed the string. If you put a wound string on there v a plain one, you'll probably never get it to lower a whole tone. Jack's reference to a 20 ga. is the right one for this change on many pedal steels. Compare the new string to the one you replaced.