Wanted Lap steel instructor

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Paul Fowler

Wanted Lap steel instructor

Post by Paul Fowler »

Just getting started trying to play lap steel and would like to find an instructor In louisville Kentucky,area to help me .will Pay going rate.About me, i play s string acustic and elect.read standard notations my favorites styles are gospel ,Praise and worship,and country .if anyone interested please contact.me.by e-mail or private message.thank you Paul fowler.SR. :D
Recently purchased 6 string lap steel hope to learn how to play it.also Allen Melbert 8 string.
Brad Bechtel

Post by Brad Bechtel »

Welcome, Paul. If you haven't yet, you might try advertising in the Louisville craigslist as well. I would guess that many of us are self-taught. Fortunately with the internet you can find many videos and instruction online.
Several teachers offer lessons via Skype where you can communicate with a teacher far away.
Good luck!
Brad’s Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars
Paul Fowler

instructor

Post by Paul Fowler »

Thank you Brad for the response about instructors. I will try craigslist.as well. Have a great day. :D
Recently purchased 6 string lap steel hope to learn how to play it.also Allen Melbert 8 string.
John Ely

Non-pedal lessons

Post by John Ely »

Hello Paul,
The great John Ely who played non-pedal guitar for Asleep at the Wheel is a great teacher who does very good lessons over Skype. I was a little skeptical of taking lessons over Skype until I tried it; but it works really well. If you can't find someone to give you in-person lessons is your area, try John. His website is http://www.hawaiiansteel.com/ He's a good guy and an excellent teacher.
Don't be confused by the fact that the guy posting this reply (me) is also named John Ely; there are two of us with the same name who both play steel guitar. The other John Ely listed above is the real thing.
John Ely
John Ely (but I'm not THE John Ely who played with Asleep at the Wheel).
Mitch Crane

Post by Mitch Crane »

I can HIGHLY recommend John Ely as well. He really helped me in many areas and I plan to start up again with him soon.
Paul Fowler

instructor

Post by Paul Fowler »

Thank you John,and Mitch for your replys,and about Jon ely,and skype i will have to look into skype,as a way to improve.Paul.have a great day. :D
Geoff Cline

Post by Geoff Cline »

I have to throw in SGF's own MIKE NEER as a great teacher for lap steel via internet and his excellent written materials, MP3s and video. Mike is a tremendous musician and teacher with a great passion for all things steel guitar. You can get a sense of his knowledge and approach (including a willingness to share freely and deeply) by searching through his many threads in this Forum.
Paul Fowler

instructor

Post by Paul Fowler »

Thank you Geoff for letting me know about mike ,I have listened to some of mikes music,it is great.I do not have a camera for skipe but i will look into one,for shure.Have a great day Paul.
Paul Fowler

instructor

Post by Paul Fowler »

Please close.Thank you.