Who First Uttered " Foremost Steel Player"?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

Who First Uttered " Foremost Steel Player"?

Post by Bill Hankey »

I question such titles. There are several reasons that a title such as the matter of fact choice of words should be challenged. #1, everyone who plays steel guitar should be consciously aware of the fact that there is always room for improvement. There isn't one single person who hasn't found different methods to improve a playing style. There are many options to choose from. There are no boundaries in learning new playing techniques. There will always be that unlearned pattern of notes waiting up around the bend for those who practice.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 22 Nov 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

And this has to do with steel players, how? :?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

It has everything to do with steel players. It's safe to believe that assuming this or that or whatever is not a way to conduct a progressive method of learning. Shove a broad statement that has never been actually proven in the face of a beginner and watch him digress. Remove that cloak of uncertainty and watch him go. I'd much rather not deal with episodes of greatness that suggest a parting line with little hope of equating oneself to exceptional overall improvements on the pedal steel.
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

Ain't it in the subject line?
:?
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Scott,

I think that I've made myself clear. Life is full of elusions. Many things that we see or receive as gifts, seem to have no equal in the early stages. How soon the novelties lose their attractiveness, once we've had the opportunity to get down to basics.
Brian Henry

uttered is an obsolete word

Post by Brian Henry »

Bill, Why do you use obsolete words such as "uttered" and "foremost? What you are trying to say is "Who is the best player" Remember the KISS principle, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID!!
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN GEORGIA
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Bill
I believe that titles like that are rhetorical in nature, and meant to express a basically unarguable opinion of the author but not meant to be exclusive of all other players.

Example: an article about Curly Chalker entitled "Top Man on C6" might just express the author's opinion of the man and in that case would be correct from his point of view.

Fortunately, whatever opinions anyone has about who's the best/foremost/greatest/totallydropdeadest or whatever mean absolutely less than nothing in the grand scheme of things.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Ben Jones

Re: Who First Uttered " Foremost Steel Player"?

Post by Ben Jones »

Bill Hankey wrote:I question such titles. There are several reasons that a title such as the matter of fact choice of words should be challenged. #1, everyone who plays steel guitar should be consciously aware of the fact that there is always room for improvement. There isn't one single person who hasn't found different methods to improve a playing style. There are many options to choose from. There are no boundaries in learning new playing techniques. There will always be that unlearned pattern of notes waiting up around the bend for those who practice.
being foremost doesnt mean being perfect or being beyond improvement.

websters definition:
1: first in a series or progression
2: of first rank or position : preeminent
in as far as this definition relates to steel players, #1 is impossible to know. #2 is subjective (as Herb points out) but certainly possible to offer an opinion on.

I would say that by definition #2, for me personally, my tastes and given my extremely limited knowledge of the history and vast catalog of music represented by this fine instrument, Mr. Buddy Emmons is the foremost pedal steel guitar player.

who said it first? I dont know...
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

Bill,
While one can appreciate if not empathize with your chronic plight for linguistic epiphany and grandiloquent rhetoric, one must also question your loggerheaded comprehension of other forum member's riposte (namely mine) to your loquacious opening gambit.

Translation, easy there Cap'n, I'm on your side on this one. My retort was in response to BB's question.
:P
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Here's a couple uses of the phrase "Foremost Steel Guitar Player".

Another by Dewitt Scott I came across.
SPEEDY WEST

UNIQUELY IDENTIFIABLE STYLIST WHO SO COMBINED CHORDAL EXECUTIONS AND SINGLE-STRING RIFFS THAT PUBLIC RECOGNITION OF THE STEEL GUITAR AND HIS NAME WERE ACHIEVED. HE PIONEERED THE "CRASH-BAR" TECHNIQUE, COMPOSED INSTRUMENTALS THAT BECAME CLASSICS TO THE INSTRUMENT'S PLAYERS, AND IS "STEEL'S FOREMOST SHOWMAN." -DS-
As for who first "uttered" it, your guess is as good as mine..

:)

EJL
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Scott,

Your comments are indelibly defined, as I search to redefine the notion that as a whole in its entirety, there is much to be desired, as we listen to who says what to whom. It appears at first glance that the majorities of artists in their own right, will grab at the opportunity to abide by judgments that originated from offices located in the heart of steel guitar activities. Mishandling zeal for reasons only known to the merchants of concentrated activities, will not survive, once the current system of grasping for straws is sorted out, and becomes more obvious in the course of time.
Scott Shipley

Post by Scott Shipley »

He said the sheriff is near.
:)
Last edited by Scott Shipley on 22 Nov 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Herb Steiner wrote: whatever opinions anyone has about who's the best/foremost/greatest/totallydropdeadest or whatever mean absolutely less than nothing in the grand scheme of things.
This is true, And there's no point in even asking who's the best, since since it's well known that the greatest steel guitarist of all time is Jerry Garcia. :x
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Dave Grafe

Post by Dave Grafe »

As a wise old soul once uttered: "them that's got it don't talk and them that talks don't got it."
Don McClellan

Post by Don McClellan »

It was probably Tom Bradshaw.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Don,

Now that you mention Tom Bradshaw, my mind races back to his generosity. Speaking of good, better, best, in generosity, as it stands at the present time, I'm not at liberty to name names of individuals who were reputed to be quite the opposite, by influential leaderships. I had learned instantly about personal beliefs, when I commenced to quote written contents from other letters. If you've never been abruptly corrected, or enligtened, you have a new experience on the list of things that could occur in the proper circumstances. It may prove to be that social blunders happen more often than realized. I believe that going out on a "limb" that extends over shark infested waters, is much more hazardous than may be assumed at first glance. I'm declaring that "World's Foremost" encompasses a much larger domain than a few gatherings of musicians, or recording sessions. I'll never understand the reasons secondly, for the common turning of heads when a popular belief is challenged.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Herb,

Thanks for commenting! Your comments are some of the most pleasing to read. You have the solutions to literally hundreds upon hundreds of problems associated with life as a steel guitarist. I wish that you could set aside some time for generating the interests that help to resolve difficult questions. If you could suggest who might be in a category of presumptuous technical musicians, who are given to uttering descriptive titles, and phraseologies, please allow the readers to be better informed. We are currently in the midst of something that will require more cash flow to prove, than would be practical. Trying to arrive at a better tone, is much too impractical to ever reach fruition, while projects costing from quotes thousands of dollars
in terms of time and expenditures remain as proof on the waiting list. Can the steel guitar industry afford another buffoonery? According to their milestones, most believe it can. Playing pedal steel assertively, doesn't license an individual to lead others to believe in incredibly nonsensical conclusions.
Bob Simons

Post by Bob Simons »

If the premise is true (and of course it is) that there are always new paths to be walked by the creative steel player, then:

1) Why do most of you spend all your time trying to imitate note for note the music of times long passed?

2) Why do you spend the rest of your time disdaining anyone who actually challenges the traditional uses of the instrument?

These are not sarcastic questions. I have always been curious about the lack of support (bordering on hostility) for creative attempts outside the realm of traditional country music.

I recently went to a 16 guitar steel jam session. It was fun, but everybody acted like it was a big deal to chop up old songs by painfully struggling to imitate and overcomplicate them, and stepping out was playing "All of Me" or some other piece of dubious musical history that the rest of the world has been sick of for 20 years. At the same time you all for the most part fail to support people like Robert Randolph.

I'd appreciate an some insight into this.

There are so many wonderful steel players from the elbow down! As a 3 chord blues guy I am endlessly impressed with the breadth of knowledge and potential for musicianship in steel players I meet. But as far as I can hear, the music that results is weak. In 5 hours of jamming, I personally detected 3 or 4 moments of passion or soul- the rest was just a painfully assembled bunch of passing chords...(the brownies after were really good! Thanks Carol!)
Zumsteel U12 8-5, MSA M3 U12 9-7, MSA SS 10-string, 1930 National Resonophonic, Telonics Combo, Webb 614e, Fender Steel King, Mesa Boogie T-Verb.
Barry Blackwood

Ain't it in the subject line?
True enough, Scott. The subject does contain the words steel player, but the question is rhetorical and means nothing, hence my question.
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

You are the closest thing to a nonverbal octopus that I can think of. Your resemblance is strictly, and emphatically your ability to blow smoke while clouding up a room full of creditable issues. Forever needling by inserting irrelevant commentary seems to be your forte'. Now that I have a much better knowledge of who is drawn to chipping away or refusing to comment, that previous wonderment frees up the ability to concentrate on issues that strike home, and are long overdue.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Scotty said it about Buddy Emmons, I think it is even written on the HOF plaque in St Louie.

Larry Behm
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Larry,

Your confirmation lends to the popular belief that De Witt Scott was the first important figure to utter those famous words during the promotion of the first steel guitar assemblages, located in St. Louis, Missouri. There must be a recording of those words somewhere in Scotty's files. Obviously, his public address systems would have picked up the first heralded commentary. Surely, those words have become etched in the minds of steel guitarists everywhere. Scotty's first utterances most certainly had to have been witnessed by others at the time.
Barry Blackwood

Forever needling by inserting irrelevant commentary seems to be your forte'.
Irrelevant is only your perception, Bill. Basically, I have learned through experience that almost everyone's commentary is irrelevant here in your threads except yours, of course.
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

I have heard Scotty say that about Buddy for years. This is Scotty's feeling about Buddy, the date of the first utterances is not important to me as an individual but the heart felt love Scotty has for Buddy means everything.

Larry Behm
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Barry,

What's preventing you from giving me an accurate summation in your erudite manner? I have a feeling that your support as indicated in the start of this thread will only serve to cloud the issue. If you ever change for the better as far as not shooting me down, I'd welcome the change.