Evans Compactra & did Evans make any other models?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Seth Burgin

Evans Compactra & did Evans make any other models?

Post by Seth Burgin »

I was at a yard sale and this lady was selling some mostly all cheap guitars from a boarder that had passed away. I started chatting and one lady had a Stringmaster 3 neck x 8 string Fender and an old Evans amp. I jumped on that tuck and roll amp, and a couple other odds and ends all needing a little work. The Evans Compactra is an awesome amp with some really interesting design features that are not seen in most other instrument amps, but pedal steel amps are not like a regular guitar amp anyway. (The should not be in my humble opinion anyway). I saw someone selling one a few months ago for $750. A Fender of similar size and power would have brought $2000. I have seen 3 of these including to in photos in my entire life before this one. What is the story with the Compactra 100? It has a 6L6GC regulated screen grid supply and a rather high end phase inverter. Dang well designed amp for sure. I am going to try a Hammond 6000 ohm primary OT and a newly acquired power transformer and see if I can make a reasonable copy of it in the form of a head only, and then try different speakers. I thought I had a schematic for one of these kicking about. Did Evans make any other amps? The whole design of this really makes me want to see more of his work.
Derrell Stephens

Post by Derrell Stephens »

The Hybrid 300, Fet 500, and Fet 500-LV series ... lots of them.

email me if u wanna know specifics or need help.
Johnny Cox
Location: Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas

Post by Johnny Cox »

The Compactra 100 is an amp that Jim Evans designed and built for Sho-Bud in the 60s. The amps do sound great and were used by many steel players included Curly Chalker, Hal Rugg and many more. The amp is only 38 watts acourding to Jim. I'm surprised that it doesn't say Sho-Bud on it somewhere.
Johnny "Dumplin" Cox
"YANKIN' STRINGS & STOMPIN' PEDALS" since 1967.