Internet Steel Guitar Heroes show OFF THE AIR

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Tony Prior

Internet Steel Guitar Heroes show OFF THE AIR

Post by Tony Prior »

Sadly, I have ended the show for now. The new legislations for CARP and peformance royalty fees are totally unclear. It's not about the money or who is entitled to the money, for me it's " Who's getting the money that is being collected? " The fees are tacked onto the monthly broadcast fee without any understanding what-so-ever of how the fees are adminstered.

I would like to thank the many many fine players who sent in tunes to be be played on the show..it was your show..and it was great. Those that never tuned in you missed it..Those that did, and there were many, it was your show too.

I have received many nice EMAILS from folks from all over expressing excitemnet about hearing a show dedicated to bandstand Steel Guitar players..the unknowns....

We'll see what the future brings but my principles and ethics tell me that to keep paying without knowing where the money goes is just contibuting to someone elses retirement fund.

tp

Jelle Biel

Post by Jelle Biel »

Hi Tony,
a little bit late my reaktion but we like to thank you for what you did (and tried)
For us you are our ""WELLKNOWN HERO""
We loved it overhere in the Netherlands
again THANKS
Jelle
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Tony- I don't understand what you are saying.? You say it isn't the fees but instead you are worried who it is going to.? What do you mean?

One way or another, we are all contributing to someones' retirement fund.

I really liked the show, and sure wish you could keep it up.
I know it is a lot of work for you, but you have been doing the "unknown" steel players a great service.

...Thanks for the time we had it anyway.....al Image Image
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Yeah i dug it too
you don't know what you got till it's gone
Thanx Tony fer all them heroes Image
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

Yeah Tony,
Just like the other fellas here....ya gotta
bring it back. It has become [or, did become]
a routine with me, that when I logged on to the SGF, I also logged logged onto 'Unsung Heroes'.

I've had an original steel tune going around in my head for a couple of years now and have just lately found some musicians to add all the other parts. I was looking forward to sending this in.

It would just be a great thing, if indeed,
you were to reconsider. But, I respect your rights and reasons for taking her off the air, even tho it is a little unclear.

FWIW...ChipsAhoy
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Hi Al, what I am saying is this..

Several months ago they went to Court for the CARP royalty ruling and tacked on a $5 fee / month which was to pay the publishers.

The rumour was that was the end but we all know that once you start paying fee's thats just the beginning.

Ok, .....almost all of the music on my show is independent which means not published. That being said, in spite of that and the fact that they never asked for a playlist, I paid the fee.

Then, just a week or so ago, the next ruling came to be...how foolish of us to think it would stop at the first royalty billing..the problem with the next or latest fee is this, it is a pro-rated fee to pay writers and musicians royalty's which they deserve...ok...The fee started I believe Oct 11 or maybe Oct 18..it's not that much money but it is a problem at least the way I see it. They still have not requested a playlist and were going to tack on performance royalty fees..and I don't know how it's calculated or how much it will be..so..I shut the show off..

Now it is possible that I will turn it on aggain but not before I get educated on the fee's , how much they are and how they are administered. Does this make sense ?

Before I pay I sorta wanna' know how much and to who .

tp

Brandin

Post by Brandin »

I hope you turn it on again!

Thanks for adding 'The Vanduras' to your playlist.

GB
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

I sure was hopin' for the best .... after seein' your last post. Image

For someone like me ... it was such a thrill
..... and like I said in your post last week
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>
It was like the Forum's unofficial radio station ... I enjoyed puttin' steel guitars to the names of people that I read.

Bet I could name that steeler in 4 measures.
</SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks for the great year !!!!
Chip Fossa

Post by Chip Fossa »

bump
Bob Maickel

Post by Bob Maickel »

FYI - The Sunday NY Times recently published an article concerning this subject. Basically, 500 College FM Radio stations were simulcasting their programs on the internet.

These college stations were already paying composer/publisher royalty license fees to ASCAP, BMI, SESAC etc., for broadcast rights on music played on the air.

This new ruling demanded the stations pay the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) additional royalties which would in theory be distributed by the RIAA to the artists and musicians on the recordings.

The problem is: The initial fee due October 11th was $2500 up front, followed by a charge of 2 cents per song for every 100 listeners on the internet and an anuual license fee besides. That adds up to a huge expense for college stations, most of which have tiny operating budgets.

As a result, 75 of the 500 stations affected immediately ceased simulcast of their programming and pulled the plug on broadcasting over the internet.

It's now obvious that individuals, including Tony, would be confronted with the same ruling and subject to the same royalty payments.

Money talks! They don't care how noble the cause might be.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

Thanks Bob, pretty sad..

tp