weight of steel guitars

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Evan Ehgoetz

weight of steel guitars

Post by Evan Ehgoetz »

I am doing a lot of airline travel these days and need a light steel guitar. I haven't had much luck getting weight info on all the guitars and was hoping that I could get some feed back here and create a summary of the results. If you want to provide info indicate make, model, D or S body, D or S neck and number of pedals. Thankyou
Bruce Tull

Post by Bruce Tull »

A Williams keyless is right up there in terms of light weight. I think a Williams S-10 keyless is about 28# without case. MSA SS series are pretty light, some of the later Sho-Buds are not bad. You should probably decide if you need a D-10 or could get by with a single neck. The airlines aren't really reliable in terms of what they'll let you bring on board, but if I lived in NYC and was traveling to gigs via subway, I'd get a Williams S-10 keyless with a gig bag. Probably about thirty pounds. A Williams in case is about the size of a trombone case, and 40-45#. If you can get by with a Sierra Artist series, they're pretty light as well.

I'm sure lots of folks will chime in here, but that's my 2 cents.

Cheers, bt
David Nugent

guitar

Post by David Nugent »

I believe that the lightest, most compact steel on the market today is the GFI Ultra S-10 keyless. I seem to have read somewhere that these will actually fit in the overhead compartment on most airlines.
Michael Douchette

Post by Michael Douchette »

The Zum Stage One is 26 pounds, will fit in an overhead... the upcoming Jackson UltraLight comes in at 19 lbs...
Mikey D... H.S.P.
Music hath the charm to soothe a savage beast, but I'd try a 10mm first.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Dean Parks

Post by Dean Parks »

Bill Carpenter

Weight of steel guitars

Post by Bill Carpenter »

Lonstar Steel Guitars Builds a 6string E9 with 3pedals and 4 knee levers that weighs in at about 17 pounds without the case.
Skip Ellis

Post by Skip Ellis »

Check out Chuck Back's Desert Rose guitars - extremely light weight and great sounding.
2013 Brook Torridge, 2014 Martin 000-18, two homebrew Teles, Evans RE200 amp, Quilter 101R head, understanding wife of 45 years. 'Steeless' at the moment but looking......
Bob Bartoli

Weight of a steel EMMONS

Post by Bob Bartoli »

a student model Emmons Push/Pull(around $700.00 to $900.00 ) sounds pretty DAMM GOOD and weighs about 15 lbs!!!! and you can get every penny back when you want to sell it..food for thought..
Jim Horan

steel guitar weight

Post by Jim Horan »

Here is a link to steel guitar manufactures, they give the weight of most brands. The O in bOb is not a zero, but a letter O
http//www.bOb.com/links/manufactures.htm
Jim
b0b

Post by b0b »

It's a zero, not the letter O.

http://b0b.com/links/manufacturers.html

I've moved this topic from the Classified Ads. Sorry that I didn't notice it sooner.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Larry Bressington

Post by Larry Bressington »

Michael Douchette wrote:The Zum Stage One is 26 pounds, will fit in an overhead... the upcoming Jackson UltraLight comes in at 19 lbs...
Mike, can you keep us informed on that 'jackson ultralight' if you hear anything, i'd probably buy one, are they any good??
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Ditto. I am just trying to figure out if 7 pounds is worth $1000...
So consequently I haven't bought either one yet...
Doug Earnest

Post by Doug Earnest »

Just to clarify things, Mike's 26 pound Stage One is an older model. The current version is heavier due to the adjustable legs and addition of an aluminum neck. They weigh about 42 pounds in the hardshell case.

I am working on a lightweight package which will retain the good features but reduce the weight considerably. I don't have it completely worked out yet but am targeting a weight of 29 pounds in the case, and hope to have it available early this summer. I'll have to charge just a bit more, but only for the true difference in cost. I'm trying to help everyone out in these troubled times while not making any sacrifices in quality. After all, they DO still say ZumSteel on the label....!
Doug Earnest
Manufacturer of Stage One & Encore pedal steel guitars
http://www.stageonesteelguitars.com
"Teach Your Children Well"
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

My MSA Millenium D-10 has 9 pedals and 8 KLs and weighs about 47.5 lbs in a Wheel-EZE case if I leave out the pedal rack (so that's what I do when flying; put the pedal rack in my suitcase with my clothes, etc.) With the pedal rack included in the Wheel-EZE case, total weight is about 52 lbs. Carbon fiber rules!
Bill Simmons

Jackson Ultra Light SD-10, 3+4 -- 19 lbs!

Post by Bill Simmons »

The Jackson Ultra Light steel is first an incredible sounding steel with great sustain that will surprise everyone!! It weighs only 19 pounds. Check it our on the Jackson Steel Guitar web site... :D
Nicholas Dedring

Post by Nicholas Dedring »

Paul Arntson wrote:I am just trying to figure out if 7 pounds is worth $1000...
Boy, you're lucky you don't dig high end bicycles... people pay by the gram for weight savings in that neck of the woods :)

I do live in NYC, and when I play out I lug the heavy SOB of a guitar with me... it's just what I have. I've heard great things about the weight of the williams keyless though, and they are indeed really compact, and a significant weight savings to boot.[/quote]
Paul Arntson

Post by Paul Arntson »

Ha Ha you're right about bikes, Nicholas. Those Ti Cycles are sure pretty and light.

I ride a 13 year old Giant Kronos steel frame that I would never part with. Heavy, cheap, and becoming impervious to theft. It just won't quit.

Seems like with steel guitars I probably shouldn't worry about it either, as few gigs as I play.

I think I am just scared to buy a new one because of layoffs. But I sure would like to see an Ultralight and a Stage One up close.
Frank Freniere

Post by Frank Freniere »

My SGI S-10 is 22 pounds in its case.
Glenn Taylor

Post by Glenn Taylor »

My S-12 4+5 is 30 lbs. in the shoulder bag. I carry on the plane, fits easily in the overhead.
www.moyopedalsteelguitars.com
Doug Seymour

S10 C6th

Post by Doug Seymour »

My Excel (S10 with 3P & 4K) weighs 25#s and the case is 12#s.....doubt you can beat that? Doesn't break strings and the Bill Lawrence pick up makes it sound as good as any P/P or any other steel on the market!!??
Bob Mainwaring

Post by Bob Mainwaring »

Hi Evan,

First of all...many thanks for your "gig list" a few days ago, hope everything works out good for you.....you're a great picker n' grinner.

I guess you've got some pretty good "comebacks" from the guys here on this great forum regarding weights of certain steels.
Did you manage to pick up anything new yet as I'd be interested in what you might end up with to throw on any of your aircraft trips.

The Zum Steels seem to have a great following but with what you're playing now, the tonality may be a little different to what your ears have grown accustomed to over the years.

Lets know what you end up with eh?? :D

All Z.B.est. (78Lbs in case)

Baawwb.
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

I used to own a Sierra "Crown" S14, 8p/7k.

Along with it's custom-built, ATA-rated flight case, it weighed in at a whopping 90 plus pounds! :whoa:

I bought many-a-lunch for "Skycaps" when I flew with that baby! :eek: Probably couldn't get away with that these days. :\

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Gary Richardi

Post by Gary Richardi »

My Los Angeles-based band just did a weekend in Edmonton. The sound company was unable to find a pedal steel to provide as we'd requested in our rider. Luckily, I found my lightweight Carter Starter fit corner-to-corner in a very old suitcase (that my wife wanted me to toss out). I packed it with foam, cardboard, and some clothes. It weighed in at 47lbs, just under the 50lb limit and survived the trip up and back w/o damage (not sure I'd have risked it with a more expensive steel, tho).

One bandmate checked double guitar and rack ATA cases and had to pay $75 each EACH WAY! The venue is supposed to reimburse us but I'm glad it didn't come out of my pocket.

Funny story: of course Air Canada weighed everything on a scale at the LAX check-in counter. At Edmonton International, if the ticket agent lady could lift it, no problem!

If you're looking for super light but tough travel cases, check out http://casextreme.com/ . I saw this guy's booth at NAMM for 2 years running. One year, I asked him if they could really protect against crushing and he put a high end Taylor inside one, stood on the center and had me get up on it with him (prolly >500lbs). Just like in his video, the Taylor was completely undamaged. After our recent travel experience, we'll look at buying some of these cases.