Vic Ashmead passed away

Obituaries and remembrances
of steel guitarists, their friends and families

Moderators: Donna Dodd, Lori Lee Smith

Ken Higgins

Vic Ashmead passed away

Post by Ken Higgins »

Got word from my in-laws that Vic passed away in Amarillo this past Wednesday. I always enjoyed listening to him play.
Larry Hamilton

Vic Ashmead Passed Away (Update to Ken's post)

Post by Larry Hamilton »

This is a little update to Ken Higgins post.

Vic Ashmead passed away Tuesday, Nov. 11, 2008 at his home in Amarillo, Tx.

Services will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in the North Amarillo Church of Christ. Burial will be in Groom Cemetery by Boxwell Brothers Funeral Directors, 2800 Paramount Blvd. Amarillo, Tx.

Mr. Ashmead can be viewed 8am to 8pm today,Friday, and 9am-12pm, Saturday.

Vic spent 29 years in the Amarillo scool system as a teacher and principal, retiring in 1988.

He was a musician beginning at the age of 13 and played with many area bands, never to retire.

Mr. Ashmead was inducted into the Western Swing Music Society of the Southwest Hall of Fame on July 21,2001. He was also inducted into the Western Swing Society of Seattle Hall of Fame in August 2002.

I was lucky enough to have heard him play several times. He was probably the best parts player I have ever heard.

Please keep Vic's family in your prayers during this time of family loss
Keep pickin', Larry
Ken Higgins

Post by Ken Higgins »

Larry,
Thank you so much for the update. My inlaws (Jim & Gwen Cox in Canyon) called us with the news. Vic was a teacher at Palo Duro when my wife went there, so it was nice to visit with him at the steel guitar shows. He was such a kind person and will be greatly missed.
Mike Brown

Mr. Ashmead

Post by Mike Brown »

I came to know Vic through his daughter, Vicki. Great people and a good man. I'm glad that I came to know Mr. Ashmead, but wish that I had the chance to see him again. My condolences to the family.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Sad and shocked are my emotions. Vic was a good friend and I always enjoyed seeing him at steel shows and hearing his stories of the road.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

It's sad to hear this, another of the good players gone. I knew Vic back to the 1950's when we worked with the Rogers Twins (at different times)in Amarillo. This picture was taken at the Rogers Twins reunion about three years ago.

David Wright

Post by David Wright »

I heard the news yesterday, Vic was a great guy, and his family are-in my Prayers...
Bobby Rountree

Post by Bobby Rountree »

Oh No....More sad news....I worked with Vic in the early 60's at the Clover Club in Amarillo with the Charlie Phillips band. Had the pleasure of seeing him a few years ago at the convention in Dallas.
R.I.P. my friend....you will be sorely missed!!
Ken Higgins

Post by Ken Higgins »

Great picture Gene, Thanks.....