cross rods

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ronny Line

cross rods

Post by Ronny Line »

Im rebuilding and old steel and Im wondering if I should use aluminum or steel for the cross bars? Any advice from builders?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Ronny, we need to know a little more. How many necks? How many pedals? Stainless is great, but it's heavy when you have a lot of pedals. Aluminum is nice and light, but requires a minimum of 3/8" d. and a real good grade (T-6 or better) to keep flex down on double cabinets (unless there's center supports).
Ronny Line

cross rod

Post by Ronny Line »

Donny, The steel is a single neck, 3pedals,4 knee. I always used 3/8 aluminum in the past, but I was told that the sound would not be as good. That is what I was wondering if that was true? I really dont know why it would make any difference in the sound but mayby it does. I reciently rebuilt a shobud proffesional using all aluminum and it seems to be just fine.
Lamar Colvin

Post by Lamar Colvin »

I've built "LAMAR"steel guitars using 2024 aluminum for crossrods for over 15 years.Works fine and removes some weight.
Mark MacKenzie

Post by Mark MacKenzie »

Isn't this the name of the song by Robert Johnson? ( I went down to the cross rods......)

:lol: