Where to go in Houston???

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Wolfenbarger

Where to go in Houston???

Post by Mike Wolfenbarger »

I don't know if I'm on the right thread or not, but I'll be in Houston Feb 28-Mar 2. I've never been to the area and will be staying at the Westin (Galleria). Where are the clubs with real bands with steel guitars. Thanks folks.
Mike
Pro-III (a lot)
Vegas 400
Evans
Brandon Ordoyne

Post by Brandon Ordoyne »

Blanco's Bar and Grill on W. Alabama St. It is not too far from the Galleria area.. Go to www.houstonredneck.com

I highley recommend it for good live country music. They are not open Sat and Sundays

Brandon
'74 Emmons D10 P/P 8x5,'15 Rittenberry D10 8x5, Peavey Nashville 112, 400 & 1000, Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, Hilton, Goodrich L120, Boss DD-3 and RV-3
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Mike, that so happens to be the weekend of the World Championship BBQ Cook off at the Reliant Stadium. There will be more steel players there than you can imagine. Since my band is out of town that weekend, I can't help you. What you need to do is email Bobby Bowman or Jody Saunders here on the forum and let them know your coming. I am sure they can help you to at least be able to see them play if not others. There will be well over 100 bands there, so if you can get with one of them, I am sure you can see some steel players....James
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Yeah Blanco's is OK but only open on Friday. Actually I hate playing there. They treat us like crap. Unfortunately, Houston's music scene is horrible, with the exception of the BBQ championship every year when a lot of bands come in. It's a shame a city the size of Houston, the biggest in Texas, has ZERO radio stations that give us airplay, therefore you have no draw to the few clubs that have country acts.
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Well, unlike Chris, I've had basically fun times at Blanco's, but it usually only features live music on Fridays... there are exceptions.

What Blanco's is excellent for is people watching... if the people you like to watch are hot, well-turned out young and middle-aged single women with, um... "surgically improved" torsos. ;) Some nights there, the audience resembles a convention of breast augmentation patients. A regular homage to the plastic surgeons of Harris County.

The Continental Club on S. Main, if still in business, frequently has country-oriented bands that have steel guitar.

Go to the BBQ Cook-Off. Tons of bands with steel players, though not all the tents are open to the general public. Some are closed parties. But you could still listen outside.
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Wolfenbarger

You guys are awesome. Herb, you're hysterical. I'll go to Blanco's on Fri and to the cookoff on Sat. Anything else? Thanks, guys. Anybody want a great early Pro-III?
Mike
Pro-III (a lot)
Vegas 400
Evans
Cameron Parsons

Post by Cameron Parsons »

My schedule shows that I am at the BBQ Cookoff Thurs. - Sat. of that weekend. It looks like the "Conestoga Supply" tent on Thursday and the "Blowin' Smoke" tent on Friday and Saturday. Come by and say hi.
James Sission

Post by James Sission »

Mike

Please take my advise on this prevent a lot of frustration for yourself. DO NOT go to that BBQ Cook-off without contacting someone like Cameron and making some type of meeting arrangements. The Cook-off is ALL private parties and it can be VERY difficult, if not impossible to get access to any of them without some sort of pass or a member meeting you at the door to get you in. I have worked that thing since 1998 and I can tell you that you should contact Bobby, Jody or Cameron or someone else playing and either get a cell phone or arrange a meeting so you can get access to a team booth. Just trying to save you from being turned away at the entrance by security and not getting to see any players....James
Chris Schlotzhauer

Post by Chris Schlotzhauer »

Herb I never said I didn't have a good time at Blanco's. For that matter, I try to have a good time everywhere. We usually pack the place even though it only holds 200-250 max. It's the only place in town we can actually do OK in spite of no radio. I could tell some stories about some experiences we have had some other time. Maybe over a glass of Chablis :)
We were booked to play there this month, but I just got an email saying it was cancelled. That usually means a better deal came along.
Brandon Ordoyne

Post by Brandon Ordoyne »

I only say Blancos because thats the only place I knew that would be close to the Galleria. The BBQ cook-off is cool to, but you do need a tent pass. I am a Committeeman for the rodeo and I dont even get to get into the tents with out the private party pass...But there will be some good music out there! :)
Brandon
'74 Emmons D10 P/P 8x5,'15 Rittenberry D10 8x5, Peavey Nashville 112, 400 & 1000, Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, Hilton, Goodrich L120, Boss DD-3 and RV-3
Herb Steiner

Post by Herb Steiner »

Chris-man, sorry if I made a wrong assumption. I just figgered that in a place you hate and that treats you like crap, having a good time was a long shot at best. ;) My bad. LOL!

I'd love to share a glass of chablis with you. Since I'm now unemployed, we'll put it on your tab!! ;)
My rig: Infinity and Telonics.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Glenn Suchan

Post by Glenn Suchan »

Mike,

A few years ago, for our anniversary, my wife and I stayed at the Westin Galleria on Thanksgiving weekend. It's actually a part of the Galleria Mall, and one of the accesses to the hotel is from inside the mall. The hotel was great, room service as well as the concierge was at our beck and command (of course, the hotel, as well as the mall, was practically empty on Thanksgiving). We had a penthouse room with a wonderful view of greater Houston. The room was well appointed and the bed was plush, to say the least.

I go along with Herb's indictment of Blanco's. Everytime I've played there it was fun, and the audience is very appreciative of the bands (at least the band I was with). Another place, not too far from the Westin is The Firehouse Saloon
http://www.firehousesaloon.com/
They serve burgers, etc. along with the usual beverage choices. Atmosphere is similar to Blanco's. A fun place for entertainment. However, from a musician's viewpoint the manager can be a real devil (that's as nice and family-friendly as I can put it on the Forum). So, if any of you forumites haven't played there yet, and are planning to, be forwarned.

If you want some where different to eat, I recommend Fogo de Chao. It's on Westheimer, about a mile west of the Westin Galleria hotel. Fogo de Chao is a churrascaria (Brazillian steakhouse). If you haven't been to a churrascaria, you're in for a real treat. Check out Fogo de Chao's website, and navigate to their Houston location for more details:
http://www.fogodechao.com/

Mike, enjoy your stay in Houston.

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn
Mike Wolfenbarger

You guys are great. I've emailed a couple of Forum pickers and am going to try to get in to the tents on Sat (of all days) to hear bands. Many thanks. I plan on enjoying Houston and am trying to land a job in Victoria.
Mike
Pro-III (a lot)
Vegas 400
Evans