SG future: have them try out a non-pedal steel early.

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Lynott

SG future: have them try out a non-pedal steel early.

Post by Mark Lynott »

In the last few months I've taken on 3 new students in non-pedal steel that initially were standard guitar students. Being young kids (8,8 and 7yrs) they found managing even short-scale guitars with low action and light strings tough. I brought my Magnatone, had them try it out and they enjoyed playing right off the bat and are doing great. Keyword seems to be "early", before video overload etc. dictates a :alien: "MUST ROCK" direction. Even if they take on standard guitar later they will have some steel grounding.

anyone else have luck with this approach?
Jim Frost

Post by Jim Frost »

God bless you Mark. The lap steel may not be easy to master, but it is easy to have fun with quickly. If beginners don't have fun, they quit. The lap steel introduces students to the right hand techniques of guitar and teaches them great lessons in music. Then they can make an easier transition to guitar later. If they start in E or D tuning on lap steel, the transition to D tuning on the guitar is much easier as well.
Pedals? We don't need no stinkin pedals!
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

That's a good idea,I have seen it happen many times when a young kid wanted to learn guitar,What happens? Their parents will go buy a 20 dollar piece of crap with the strings a half inch off the neck[Chet Atkins could'nt have played it]Then they wonder why the kid loses interest.DYKBC.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bill McRoberts

Post by Bill McRoberts »

My 8 year old son loves music. He is a natural on the drums. Picking up beats from recordings and using them in practice. He didn't show much interst in my steels until recently. I set up my singleneck six string steel for him to try out. He loves it.....