Penny Gilley Show Steeler

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John DeBoalt

Penny Gilley Show Steeler

Post by John DeBoalt »

Last night on the show, the steeler had a big gray mustache. He was dressed in red, and played a red guitar. I think it was a Sho~Bud. I liked his style Anyone have a clue who he is.

John
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

That would be Phil Coontz. It used to be JD Beckman. That guitar that you saw Phil playing on the show was indeed a Sho-Bud Super Pro.

It seems that Penny (or "Pinny" as she says it) has a lot of new band members on the new series of shows that have just now started to air.
Sho-Bud LDG, Gretsch Syncromatic Lap Steel, Fender Steel King amp, Bach Stradivarious 37 Trumpet, Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn, 68 Fender Precision Bass
John DeBoalt

Post by John DeBoalt »

Thanks
Joseph Barcus

my 2 cents

Post by Joseph Barcus »

that show is really poor I mean that girl just cant sing a lick, but thats just my 2 cents. now the Johnny High show is great
Larry Scott

Post by Larry Scott »

Mark Trzepacz wrote:That would be Phil Coontz. It used to be JD Beckman. That guitar that you saw Phil playing on the show was indeed a Sho-Bud Super Pro.

It seems that Penny (or "Pinny" as she says it) has a lot of new band members on the new series of shows that have just now started to air.

Mark

do you know how to contact Phil.
he was a buddy of mine when he lived here in Virgina.

I think he and his wife were from Ohio.
It's been over 20 years since i have seen him.

thanks
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

Larry,

Check out the Memberlist of this forum. I believe his name is listed there. You may be able to get his email address from there.
Sho-Bud LDG, Gretsch Syncromatic Lap Steel, Fender Steel King amp, Bach Stradivarious 37 Trumpet, Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn, 68 Fender Precision Bass
Joe Casey

Post by Joe Casey »

I would have to somewhat agree with a statement above...
the girl can't sing a lick.
. However the band is good even tho theres too much Pinney.
John DeBoalt

Post by John DeBoalt »

I hardly ever watch these shows anymore for the singer. My focus is usually on the band. IMHO, the best girl singer ever was Anita Carter,and I don't think she ever had a solo record. Still the Penny Gilly show is a platform for more traditional country music. Whether you like the ladys voice or not, you should be glad the program is out there to watch. The video director actually gets the camera on the pedal steel when it's being played, and thats better than they do with the Opry TV shows

John
Joe Drivdahl

RFD

Post by Joe Drivdahl »

Ahh, Who cares about the singer anyway? The singer is just for the tone-deaf and to give the musicians a break between lead parts.

There's another show on the RFD channel, not sure of the name, but there are two guys who look like they could be brothers. One plays steel, has long hair pulled back in a pony tail, bald on top. I think his name might be Larry. The other guy plays an archtop guitar. Both guys are pretty handy. Any idea who these guys are?

Joe
Glenn Boppre

Post by Glenn Boppre »

Joe, That would be the Midwest Country Show. Joe Savage on the steel and LeRoy Glazer on the lead
guitar.
Glenn
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

Glenn Boppre wrote:Joe, That would be the Midwest Country Show. Joe Savage on the steel and LeRoy Glazer on the lead
guitar.
Glenn
Joe Savage is a member of this forum too. In fact, if you type loud enough, he might hear ya and come a typin' back.

Joe and Leroy (and the other guys) are great at what sometime must be a tough job of keeping the music sounding legit behind some of the more un-seasoned performers on the show.
Mark Treepaz

Post by Mark Treepaz »

John DeBoalt wrote:I hardly ever watch these shows anymore for the singer. My focus is usually on the band.
Same here. Although a good singer helps.
John DeBoalt wrote:The video director actually gets the camera on the pedal steel when it's being played, and thats better than they do with the Opry TV shows

John
THAT's annoying to me....Hearing the steel player soloing and watching a shot of the drummer or rythym guitarist all through the solo. I actually can't believe how many times that's happened on a show like the Opry Live! Of all programs. :roll: