The Jinxes Of Randomly Gigging

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Hankey

The Jinxes Of Randomly Gigging

Post by Bill Hankey »

There are usually mixtures of jinxes threading through the whole shebang of traveling and performing at various gigs. I'm confident that each play for pay musician would have encountered at least a few jinxes along the way. I stand ready to compare some that have occurred over the years.
Last edited by Bill Hankey on 24 Dec 2007 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

Over the last 31 years (26 steel) of playing professionally and traveling to all kinds of places, surprisingly, about the only thing that has happened other than a flat tire or two, is the time I left my bar home and I tried to use a spark plug socket the first set.

I ultimately had to make an 80 mile round trip to go get the bar which caused me to miss half the second set.

Now there was those five marriages but let's just try to forget that.
Mark Ardito

Post by Mark Ardito »

One of my first gigs ever on pedal steel. The band thought it would be funny to mess around with me, seeing as I was a nervous wreck as it was one of my first gigs ever on steel. We finished sound check and then left the stage to go grab drinks and etc. The band leader took my picks and bar and hid them. I grab a beer and socialize for a little bit, it's now show time and we head to the stage. I got into panic mode when I notice that my picks and bar are missing! I grab another set of picks out of my pac-a-seat, but I only have 1 bar! The entire band starts laughing at me as my face turned stark white! I quickly slam my Budweiser and start peeling the label off it, I'm thinking in my head that I will play the night with a friggin' beer bottle. Then just as the entire band is practically rolling on the stage laughing, the band leader hands me back my bar and picks.

I now make it a point to always carry my bar and picks in MY pocket when not actively playing the steel. I learned my lesson! :o

Cheers!
Mark A.
Eric West

Post by Eric West »

Well it's always a good bet not to count on the band having cash, and it doesn't hurt to have some change for a 50.

A long extension cord is a plus.

Two amps doesn't hurt, and don't forget a coat if it's an outdoor, or 'barn' gig.

A waterproof cover for your whole rig.

Mosquito repellant.

I dunno. I ran into a bunch of stuff, but you can't prepare for all of it.

On the Moose Gig with Chuck Williams in Astoria, I somehow miraculously had a tarp to sleep under. And my dog to help keep warm. The can of chinese food came in handy.

A gun maybe, depending on your state laws..

:)

EJL
John Macy

Post by John Macy »

Dick Wood said:

"I ultimately had to make an 80 mile round trip to go get the bar which caused me to miss half the second set. "

Sounds like steel guitar should be a hobby in between your NASCAR races... :) My kinda guy :)
John Macy
Rockport, TX
Engineer/Producer/Steel Guitar
Bill Hankey

Post by Bill Hankey »

Eric,

Have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Thanks for your great support in past threads. I'm trying to add knee levers to a ZB Custom, single 10, made in circa '70-'72. It has one knee lever that lowers the 2nd and the 8th a half tone. This will be an interesting challenge for me. No holes will be drilled to accommodate two more levers. No screws or tappings either. I have it just about doped out at this time. I can't think of a better way to start the New Year!
Jinxed or otherwise, I just need permission to go forward with the plan, from the owner.
Dick Sexton

Off roadin it!

Post by Dick Sexton »

On our way to Gildas in Morehead City one Sat. night down Hwy 101, a drunk ran Bill (the steel player) and I (a suido guitar player) off the road. Came over the line and hit us after we were clean off the pavement on our side. Took the drivers side mirror (One of them big ones) off his truck, cleaner then scum off a pond. We chased after the guy, but I think he give us the slip. We went on and did the gig, but it shook us up and made ole Billy real mad. I thought he handled that Pick-up real well, off in the grass. DS
Ron Sodos

tuner

Post by Ron Sodos »

I was a newbie in 1979 and opened for Jerry Jeff and the Lost Gonzo Band. They had a strobe tuner on stage that i had never seen before. At the time i was tuning with an "A" tuning fork and mostly by ear. I used the strobe and tuned everything to 440.
WOW was I out of tune. I couldn't play a note it was so awful and embarassing. I sure learned about temper tuning the hard way...LOL :lol: