Does anyone know this lick ?

Written music for steel guitar

Moderator: Ricky Davis

Wade Branch

Does anyone know this lick ?

Post by Wade Branch »

Listen to the lick or run between 0:12 - 0:15,does anyone have this lick tabbed out,I hear this lick in a lot of songs,I would love to learn it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHyf5uMlP1s
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Wade, it's basically using AB pedals plus the D lever that lowers your E's to Eb's. Play strings 3,4,5 at the 3rd fret with ABD, let off the pedals (but keep the KL engaged) (you can bounce up/down on the pedals a time or 2 for feel), then slide down two frets, and then resolve back to the 3rd fret (G) with no pedals or KL on strings 4,5,6. That should about get you there. The rest is feel.
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

There's somethin' about a woman playing pedal steel in high heels. Wow!
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

The best thing I could probably do is ignore this thread. BUT, being female...

First of All, I am amazed that you noticed high heels in that segment. Lots of other stuff to see there. She is a great player.

Keeping my heel on the floor has been a recent issue in my learning process. It was suggested I wear something with a heel instead of tennis shoes. So high heels or boots? (Men don't seem to have this problem.)I have never worn high heels and at 53 I don't see me taking up that nasty habit. I own boots and wear them often. Such a delima...I think I will carry a small section of 2X4 and rest my heel on it. Same principle and I can continue to wear my tennis shoes. Problem solved. Gotta get me one of those cute little tops though... :D
Steve Hitsman

Post by Steve Hitsman »

You're right, Tamara, I noticed a lot of other things that I didn't comment on. She IS a great player and very attractive... that's a compliment.

I play in cowboy boots. The heels help.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Oh, we notice when men wear boots too; it's just not worth remarking on because it's so commonplace.
Wade Branch

Post by Wade Branch »

Thanks,Jim I give that a whirl. :D
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

Jim Cohen wrote:Oh, we notice when men wear boots too; it's just not worth remarking on because it's so commonplace.
Of course men wear boots. They don't usually wear high heels in public. Men's biggest decision seems to be between work boots and dress boots. I still think a small piece of 2X4 under my heel will be the same thing. The idea is to have a solid surface to pivot the heel on. Usually the floor. So I just raise the "floor." I'd almost bet my teacher will freak out about it though. Unless, he sees this post and gets past the initial shock. :lol:
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

I don't wear Boots or High heels ...:(
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

Tony Prior wrote:I don't wear Boots or High heels ...:(
What works for you Tony?

I am very impressed with the high fashion tips. You guys really have it together.
Ricky Thibodeaux

Hey Tamara

Post by Ricky Thibodeaux »

That's some of the biggest fiddles I have ever seen. Leaning against your steel that is...
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I can't believe some of you guys actually notice the size of a woman's fiddles...
Mike Shefrin

Post by Mike Shefrin »

They look like dulcimers to me, and I don't wear high heels but I sure notice em on any gal. Nothing wrong with that either.
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

I don't see the need for a heel. I've played in tennis shoes to flip flops. if your pedals are lowered down close to the floor either will work just fine.
Tamara James

Re: Hey Tamara

Post by Tamara James »

Ricky Thibodeaux wrote:That's some of the biggest fiddles I have ever seen. Leaning against your steel that is...
They are mountain dulcimers. [I'm refraining from anymore comment on that.] I guess a new avatar is in order.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Ahem... this thread is supposed to be about steel guitar tablature, not somebody's high-heel shoes, tennis sneakers, fiddles, dulcimers or whatever. Can we pu-leeze get back to talkin' tab? ;)
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Heck, I'd seen that video before and hadn't even noticed it was a woman playing. I was too busy concentrating on the beautiful music, the picking technique, bar vibrato, ....... :roll:
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Anybody willin to tab out that cool lick?
Paul Wade

Post by Paul Wade »

jim you crack me up :lol: :lol: :lol:
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

For Wade and Andy:

[tab]
1--------------|---------------------|---------------------
2--------------|---------------------|---------------------
3--------------|-----3B—3~~3B—3---1--|---------------------
4--------------|-----3L—3L~3L—3L--1L-|-3-------5--------3~~
5--5A~~4A~~3A~~|~3---3A—3~~3A—3---1--|-3-------5A-------3A~
6--5A~~4B~~3B~~|~3B------------------|-3—5~~5b—---3~~3B~~~~
7--------------|---------------------|---------------------
8--5~~~4~~~3~~~|~3L------------------|---------------------
9--------------|---------------------|---------------------
10-------------|---------------------|---------------------

1-------
2-------
3-------
4~~3----
5~~3----
6~~3----
7-------
8-------
9-------
10------

[/tab]

Wade, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the lick over the D7 chord, as Jim described, or the one following, after she got back to G, so here's the whole phrase. FWIW the last lick on the I chord is from the Hal Rugg canon.
-John
Wade Branch

Post by Wade Branch »

Thanks Jim and John, you guys are the best.
Corky Anderson

Post by Corky Anderson »

Sarah certainly is a great player..............and I agree with Steve.....there IS something about a good looking woman playing pedal steel in high heels!!

Carter D-10 NV 1000/400 Lexicon Mx 200

Tele........twin.........boss pedals
Sonny Jenkins

Post by Sonny Jenkins »

,,,2x4???,,,,raise the floor???,,,,maybe just lower the pedals,,,too simple???,,,,OK,,raise the floor,,,,
John Bauer

WOW!!!She's great

Post by John Bauer »

Tamara James wrote:The best thing I could probably do is ignore this thread. BUT, being female...

First of All, I am amazed that you noticed high heels in that segment. Lots of other stuff to see there. She is a great player.

Keeping my heel on the floor has been a recent issue in my learning process. It was suggested I wear something with a heel instead of tennis shoes. So high heels or boots? (Men don't seem to have this problem.)I have never worn high heels and at 53 I don't see me taking up that nasty habit. I own boots and wear them often. Such a delima...I think I will carry a small section of 2X4 and rest my heel on it. Same principle and I can continue to wear my tennis shoes. Problem solved. Gotta get me one of those cute little tops though... :D
Dick Wood

Post by Dick Wood »

It ain't never gonna end is it.

First it was a better guitar then it was better amp then it was a black box now it's high heels.

So what should I get blue or black?