Tele strap-button on the heel block?

Bottleneck slide guitars, B-benders, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

David Mason

Post by David Mason »

I recently noticed that Brad Paisley and Brent Mason both have their guitar strap hooked to a button next to the heel of the neck of their Telecasters, rather than on the customary upper bout of the guitar. As I don't, currently, sound quite as good as Brad Paisley and Brent Mason, I am wondering if this just might be the improvement that will kick me over the edge - has anybody else ever tried this, and if so why?
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

I think it might be for balance.
Robert Leaman

Strap

Post by Robert Leaman »

Maybe that removes strain from the guitar neck.
Dennis Coelho

Post by Dennis Coelho »

I think those buttons on the Tele's heel are for a particular kind of "b-bender," or "g-bender" that stretches those strings up a half or whole step.

Dennis
Jerry Hayes

Post by Jerry Hayes »

Their straps are hooked to a B-Bender unit made by Nashville's Joe Glaser. It's a short throw bender which works very well for uptempo things. Brent's bender (as is about 999 out of a thousand) is hooked to the B-string and raises the pitch to C# like the A pedal on an E9th tuning. Brad's bender however is hooked to his third string G and raises it to A. A bender is hooked to the 3rd string by some players but it's usually in addition to the B bender and isn't used nearly as much. What's nice about Joe's benders is there's no pulling hub visible behind the bridge as there is with a Parsons/White, Evans, or other units. The string goes right into the body of the guitar at the bridge piece which is cool. I don't really like the way the strap is hooked though as I think there's a balance problem there with some players. Some other players of note who use Joe's benders are Ricky Skaggs, Steve Wariner, & Jimmy Oleander of Diamond Rio.......JH in Va.
Don't matter who's in Austin (or anywhere else) Ralph Mooney is still the king!!!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

As I don't, currently, sound quite as good as Brad Paisley and Brent Mason, I am wondering if this just might be the improvement that will kick me over the edge...
Now THAT'S funny! :lol:
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Jimmy Olander uses a Glaser double bender (B and G), and said he uses the G more. As I understand it, for the double bender you have the strap hooked to the lever as noted and a lanyard attached to your belt that pulls another lever when you push the guitar neck away from your body, as opposed to down toward the floor.