Ques. about teaching lap steel

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Ron Victoria

Ques. about teaching lap steel

Post by Ron Victoria »

I've been giving it some thought about teaching lap steel and need some feedback. The first choice is private or adult school. I would think in adult school it would be geared to existing guitar players that might want to learn some lap. They would need something to bring to class. Would the easiest thing be for them to just change the bridge and use a guitar they have? I would prefer one or two private students. Would I get students from a newspaper ad or try some advertisement at local music stores? What would I charge for private lessons? With all the lawsuits and allegations going on in today's society, I would only want to have adult students. I'm sure some of you out there have taught. I'd like to hear your experience, both good and bad. Thanks, Ron
Cindy Burch

Post by Cindy Burch »

Hey Ron. I taught standard acoustic years ago at a local YMCA. I have taught a few of my friends children a year or so back. Teaching children was always easier for me. They are just more open minded sometimes. You usually sign them up for a six week program. You could have it where you teach a class with several students with an hour lesson, or a single 30 minute lesson. As far as the price goes. You would need to check around in your area at local music stores that offer lessons to see what the going rate is. I don't know about using the standard guitar they already have. One idea is to make a deal at either a music store or someone that carries inexpensive 'beginner' lap steels. Also advertising in the paper is fine and local junior colleges.
Just my humble opinion.

Hey - you need Chucks opinion. He is a man that taught lessons for years in these here parts.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

Hey Ron,

I might be interested in taking a lesson. I don't think you are too far away from.

One problem though: Although I'm 51, no one has ever accused me of being an adult.

What styles are you teaching.
Bill McCloskey

Post by Bill McCloskey »

I used to take finger picking lessons from Dave Van Ronk and he used to charge $35 a lesson.
C. Brattain

Post by C. Brattain »

You can get a nut raiser from all most any music store that slips over the nut of any old acoustic guitar that raises the strings for playing steel guitar, use a cheap guitar because it is hard on the neck.
After they can see that they can learn they can buy a electric steel. I thank the easeiest tuning to start on is E major. low to high
E-root
B-5th
E-root
G#-3rd
B-5th
E-root
After they learn some theory, slants, chords
and scales you can go to any tuning like C6th, A6th, etc.
It is easer to start them out with number music and teach notation as you go along.
Get the price of lessons by calling and checking the teachers prices in you are.
If you are going to do this I have a lot of easy number music in E major that I will send you at no charge.
Please excuse my spelling, Chuck
George Keoki Lake

Post by George Keoki Lake »

Have you ever considered teaching seniors ? I have been teaching seniors (55+) for the past ten years and it is an enjoyable experience. (Oldest this year is 80 and she is playing very well!) They come because they want to learn and they love Hawaiian music which is seldom heard around these parts, whereas often younger folks (pre-teen which 40 years ago I also taught), showed up because their parents wanted them to play....perhaps it's not the same today. Anyway, I won't take anyone under 55.
This semester I have 37 students, (20 on steel, the balance ukulele). I made an arrangement with a local Senior Recreation Drop-in Center which supplies me with a nice studio...they do all the advertising, etc. All of my steel students bring their own electric guitars and amps to class. Yes, I teach class and as I mentioned above, they are eager and fun ! It's a rewarding experience. I picked the E Major tuning for its melodic (Hawaiian) sound. Image