Remington Steelmaster

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Rick Alexander

Remington Steelmaster

Post by Rick Alexander »

I ordered a custom Remington Steelmaster T8 22 1/4" scale from Herb Remington last June, and he says it'll be ready soon. Image

In the meantime, I found this black D8 on eBay the other day and I just couldn't resist. It's an amazing steel - http://rickalexander.com/BigSteel/RemingtonSteelmasterD8.html

Now that I've actually played a Steelmaster, I'm really looking forward to getting my new custom T8 ! Image It's a cream color called "cornsilk" and Herb's putting cream colored pickups on it. I will post some pics as soon as it arrives . . .
-

Rick Alexander<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 01 February 2005 at 05:13 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Boyett

Post by Gary Boyett »

That is a nice one. Let me know if you ever want to sell it, It is similar to the one I am planning to order soon.
c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

you wont'd be sorry. I had one of the first steelmasters, my oldest son took it away from me. Now for the last couple of yrs have had a Rem Rider and love it. CC
Don Joslin

Post by Don Joslin »

I wondered who got that guitar. What a great deal you got!!!! Ha Ha, you are lucky that I am unemployed or I would have been bidding hard against you. Someday I'm gonna order my Steelmaster too...someday.

Don

------------------
Image My favorite baseball team is the Minnesota Twins...
-------- ...my second favorite is whoever is playing the Yankees!
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Yeah, thanks guys - nobody bid against me. I didn't think I'd get it for that $$ . . .
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Can we ask what you paid for that D8 on eBay? It is a beautiful guitar to say the least.

------------------
I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!

Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

3755518646 is the item #
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Boy, did I miss a good one. I have to start paying attention to life as it goes ripping on by. Great buy Rick! Image

------------------
I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!

Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

WOW, RICK! That was a steal!! I also have a Remington T-8 and it's an excellent guitar.
Mike Ruffin

Post by Mike Ruffin »

That was a "steal" Rick. I bought the red S8 Steelmaster that was on ebay a couple of months ago. I was the only one that bid on it and I got a heck of a bargain on a pristine piece. It is my first steel and I am really enjoying it. I have a new GeorgeBoard coming. Couldn't resist the 50% off Christmas special.
Enjoy your new Remington. I have had the pleasure of dealing with both Herb and George. Can't say enough good things about them.
Mike
Tom Campbell

Post by Tom Campbell »

Hey Rick

Nice looking double neck. I have a Remington doubke neck, with a stained walnut ash body. Herb said it was the only one he ever produced in that color. The Remington has a lot of features of the Fender Stringmaster...wonder why...(Herb used to work for Fender)!
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Yes he did - he was one of Leo Fender's top advisors for many years. The Steelmaster has features that are big improvements over the Stringmaster - the stainless hardware for more sustain, the ameliorated ergonomics (your hand doesn't bump into the machines, pickups, or the next neck), and the George L pickups (powerful & noiseless) . .

And the fact that you can pick up the phone and talk to the man that makes them is a huge plus!
Chuck Halcomb

Post by Chuck Halcomb »

I can tell you, so far as I am concerned that steelmaster is well worth the wait. I have had mine now for just almost two years and just love it. And it sounds like yours will be beautiful!

------------------
Remington Steel T-8 Steelmaster
Gibson Console Grande
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Another thing Herb told me is that the pickups are now available in "every color of the rainbow". Since he makes guitars in any custom color, that means you could have an orange guitar with an orange pickup or a pink guitar with a purple pickup or red & green for Xmas!

Steeling was never so colorful!
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Herb is a great guy! I have two of his guitars and they both sound great. I can highly recommend a Remington to anyone considering purchasing a steel. It's well worth every penny, too. Image
Bill Bosler

Post by Bill Bosler »

I bought a D-8 from Herb this past summer. What a great guitar and what a gentleman to deal with.
Dan Sawyer

Post by Dan Sawyer »

Does Herb ever post on this forum?
Mike Ruffin

Post by Mike Ruffin »

Another Steelmaster D8 popped up on ebay today.
Gary Boyett

Post by Gary Boyett »

Rick,
When did Herb say yours would be done?

I bet you can't wait. When I ordered my Melobar it seemed like forever.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Maybe two or three weeks longer. You're right, I can't wait - I'm very excited about it. Now that I've played a Steelmaster, I know my new T8 is going to be a "dream" guitar! You always see people saying what a great guitar the Steelmaster is - and once you play one you realize just how great. This D8 is a longer scale than I prefer, but it's a very powerful, and beautiful instrument. SO that's why I'm really looking forward to the custom T8 herb is making for me - it will be the 22 1/4" scale that I prefer. What can I say - I'm just a short scale kind of guy! Jeff is 100% right when he says it's worth every penny.

I'll sure let you know when I get the T8 - I'll post pics and maybe an audio clip or 2 . <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rick Alexander on 20 January 2005 at 09:57 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

Does Remington build a T–10 Short-Scale Steelmaster? How do you contact the Co.?

------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
(2)-Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Customs
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15”
click hereclick hereclick hereclick here
Don Joslin

Post by Don Joslin »

I just got a quote from Herb for a single neck 10-string. Here's his contact info:

Herb Remington
2102 Jean St.
Houston, Texas 77023
713-923-8435
713-923-4102 FAX
e-mail: remsteel@homerelay.net

I'm sure he would build anything you want.

Don

------------------
Image My favorite baseball team is the Minnesota Twins...
-------- ...my second favorite is whoever is playing the Yankees!
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

John,
I asked Herb that same question (T10) and he said that while he hasn't built one yet, he could and would. 713 923 8435 He usually answers the phone himself.
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

The ash colored D-8 that was on ebay went for $760.00. Still a good deal (although not as sweet as the deal you got, Rick!) Image
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3761040880&category=2384&sspagename=WDVW

I emailed the seller and it was a long scale. The seller indicated it was bought by a friend and never played.
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

About 4 or 5 years ago, Herb built a D8/S10 for me. A first class steel it is.