stringmaster refinishing

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Terry VunCannon

Post by Terry VunCannon »

1959 Stringmaster D6 refinished black in the early 60's...
Jeff James

Post by Jeff James »

Rick Alexander wrote: Image
51 Custom

Beautiful!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

My old triple! Why did I sell you? Oh the pain, Will, the pain!
Jody Carver

Triple Neck Custom

Post by Jody Carver »

Hey Andy, didn't your triple Custom have tiny holes in the underside? I recall you're telling me that. However, it sure is a beauty.
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Not to stray from the post too much, but the D6 Stringmaster I'm working on is made of walnut. :? I wasn't aware the were made of anything other than ash (??)
Quite a surprise when I stripped three coats of paint off it. Not sure of the year of it. The scribble under the one tuner pan is un-readable.. It has the Tele type switch, and the blend control.
Craig Hawks

Post by Craig Hawks »

Bill,

Which parts exactly are you having re-chromed for the $313.00? I've never gone through this process, so I'm wondering, will the parts look "perfect" when they come back? I have some old Fender parts that need re-chromed. I'm thinking if I can get all the chrome on my Stringmaster including legs redone for 300-400 that would be fair. Where would I find someone to do this? Are they in the phone book under re-chroming?

Craig
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

Craig, I'm having all the plates and tuner pans re-cchromed on my Dual-Pro. The tuner pans are steel stampings, not cast aluminum like a Stringmaster, so that's two more parts to get done than a Stringmaster.
In the Yellow Pages, you may find a chrome shop under "plating"
The shop that does my stuff has raised prices this past year. (so what else is new :( )
Regards BILL

Oh yeah, you may save money by getting new legs as opposed to re-doing the old ones. get a price and compare. With new ones you wont have issues with the collars that tighten the locking part of the legs.
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

My old triple! Why did I sell you? Oh the pain, Will, the pain!
She's a tone monster alright. Visiting hours are 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM Monday thru Thursday . .