Notes returning # after lowering?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

Jim Palenscar wrote:There are obviously exceptions to every "rule". It has been my experience that, in general, keyless guitars have less hysteresis/over return, etc. than do keyed guitars. None of it really bothers me as most of my playing is live. I would probably be bothered if I recorded a bunch and would then take steps to fix it.
Just to clarify where I'm coming from: Jim, I too am not bothered by over-return in playing my instruments. (Or "cabinet drop".) Like Gary Cosden, I'm just curious about it. And I see my own experience as limited and anecdotal, and don't think it "proves" anything.

I had no particular inclination not to believe the assertion by Gene Fields, for example, that the GFI keyless system led to negligible over-return--though that had nothing to do with my decision to buy a GFI keyless. I just happened to play one in a store, and felt it played well, sounded good, was lightweight, and I wanted an SD-10, as I only had a D-10 at the time and didn't play the C6th neck at all. Anyway, I was just surprised when I discovered that my GFI keyless had just as much over-return as any of my other steels--"Wait a minute, wasn't keyless supposed to solve that problem?"--and wondered, and still wonder, why.
Jim Palenscar

Post by Jim Palenscar »

Dunno- sometimes just happens thataways :)