Bars & Tone ?

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Bill Stroud

Bars & Tone

Post by Bill Stroud »

Hi Mike, we are ok Bobbe and I go back a long way, he was really giving me a compliment.
Thanks Bobbe
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

b0b wrote:I would classify "a little more string noise" as a tone difference.
Yeah, that's your perogative, Bobby! :wink: (Personally, I don't consider "noise" as music, so I don't describe it as even entering the tone equation.) Still, you gotta put things in perspective. A little noise, no matter where it comes from, might be irritating in the bedroom or studio, but of no consequence whatsoever on a live gig.

I don't think anyone can identify what brand or size bar a player is using just by the sound, so I therefore conclude they have very little effect on the sound, tone, or whatever you care to call it. In order for there to be a significant difference in the sound or tone, the bars would have to be significantly different.

What we think we can hear, and what anyone else can actually hear are often two vastly different things.
b0b

Post by b0b »

String noise is sometimes part of the sound that I want for a particular song. Ry Cooder's tone, for example, has an immaculate "noise" component.

But I agree that identifying a bar by its tone alone is next to impossible. There are too many other variables. I can, however, tell by listening which of my own bars I used on any given recording. I have a small selection and each has a distinctive sound. I can hear the difference between glass, bakelite, zirconia and steel, and the difference between my steel BJS and Shubb bars shows in the type of vibrato I use with each.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Noise? Bar noise? All bad? Naw, ever heard of a "sitar bar?" It's noise, on purpose.
People/players must like sitar bars because we have sold over 200 of them in nine months. Yea, I know, I can't believe it either, but as long as these studio players are recording with them, we have to have them it seems.
Used correctly they can sound pretty interesting.

Ever see how Bobby Koefer uses and holds his bar?

Yes, I was kidding about using the "bar" glass bar, haven't done it in years.

Bobbe
basilh

Post by basilh »

Has this man got enough bars ?

Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

This man should be behind bars, (oh oh!)
basilh

Post by basilh »

Good title for an album ?
Baz
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

I told you guys Martha Stewart is out here helping us color cordinate.
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Bump for the big M
Roger Crawford

Post by Roger Crawford »

Well, we've heard from Bill Stroud and Bobbe Seymour. I guess it's time for Bill Simmons! Can we actually trust these BS guys???
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Yes, BS stands for "Better Steelers!"
basilh

Post by basilh »

And Basil Sucks !!
More "BS" than the BS Brigade !!
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

I don't think anyone can identify what brand or size bar a player is using just by the sound, so I therefore conclude they have very little effect on the sound, tone, or whatever you care to call it. In order for there to be a significant difference in the sound or tone, the bars would have to be significantly different.
It seems that most of the differences described in this thread - except for "brand preference" - are based on "significant differences".

I primarily use a tapered 1 1/4" -> 1 1/8" bar that weighs a pound and is a combination of unique alloy and plating systems (formerly belonging to Sneaky Pete). It sounds dramatically different from any of several 7/8" bars I have, which blindfolded I doubt anyone could identify. I also use one of those periodically - a "Twister" - because I like the shape. The other 7/8 are various steel/chrome/whatever and they just don't have distinct differences.

Other than that, mine are all unique materials like Delrin, moly/nylon, acrylic, and all at least 1" in diameter; they all have different sounds and "touch", and the weight differences really change the way you approach playing. Lighter bars can be "snapped" over long fret spans quickly, while the 1-pounder requires you to sneak up (pun intended) on a long bar movement or you can easily overshoot. It really makes you play a bit differently, as some guys found out who gave it a test drive.

Sidebar (another pun intended) - amazingly, the acrylic, Delrin and other synthetics sound amazingly close to a "normal" bar. Some minor differences, but not nearly the loss of sustain one would expect nor sitar-like buzzes. We fooled with a bunch in Jim Palenscar's shop about a year ago and it was pretty interesting. The Delrin was slightly bright; the moly/nylon "darker" sounding (just barely) ; and the clear acrylic you could hardly tell from a "normal" bar.
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Mike Wheeler

Post by Mike Wheeler »

Ahhh, so much BS in this thread! :P

And speaking of bar noise...I think it's an insult to the musicians to be causing all that clatter while they're trying to play beauti...what!.....huh?.....oh.....THAT bar?!?!....nevermind

:wink:

(not you Jim :)
Best regards,
Mike
Buck Grantham

BJS BAR

Post by Buck Grantham »

The BJS bar created by one of the nicest guys I have ever met ,is the best bar I have ever used . Great tone and sustain. Buck Grantham
David C Neal

IIts got to be a BJS For me!

Post by David C Neal »

Around 8 years ago Jimmie Crawford turned me on to the BJS bar! As a matter of a fact he gave me my first bar and I'm still using it today!

You owe it to yourself to try one.. You won't go back!

1- I have never used a bar that resists scratches like BJS Bars do.

2- They're truly like holding an instrument of precision in your hands! They feel like an extention of your hands.

3- They are truly the smoothest sounding bars out there and will definitely improve your sound!

David C Neal
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

My wife, who is not a musician, can tell the difference in the sound produced by my BJS bar and my zirconia bar. It's not that the tone is different so much as that the decay envelop is different.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Well, this much I know, the maker of BJS bars, Mr Bill Stroud just can't be beat for taking care of the customer. He corrected a little problem with one of my bars, far above my expectations. And tho' I'm not a pro like a lot of you guys, IMO the BJS bar just can't be beat. 8)
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

My Tone~Bar Collection consists of John Pearse, BJS and Bullet~Bars and Custom~Made to my stats and I like them all, however; since I got the Bullet~Bars I haven't used any others! But, I still like them all and would take any one to a job. Where is that job????
<marquee> Go~Daddy~Go, (No), Go, It's your Break Time</marquee> L8R, jb
My T-10 Remington Steelmaster
Richard Tipple

BJS

Post by Richard Tipple »

I would like to try the BJS bar, where can one purchase one, web link,Etc ? Thanks
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Richard, to top of this page, click on "Links", then click on Manufacturers, then scroll down to Related Products section, and BJS Bars has direct link in that list. ...you'll not regret it IMO 8)
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Richard Tipple

bar

Post by Richard Tipple »

Hay thanks so much Stan :D
Bill Stroud

Bars

Post by Bill Stroud »

Hi Richard Tipple, your new bar will be shipped out tomorrow, any problems just let me know.
Thanks,
Bill
Richard Tipple

bar

Post by Richard Tipple »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

basilh wrote:Has this man got enough bars ?
Those aren't bars, Basil. You've stumbled in on your girlfriend's private stache of dildos. :whoa: :whoa:
(I promise not to tell Pat !) ;-)