Hello. New to PSG

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tamara James

Hello. New to PSG

Post by Tamara James »

HI all. I am new to pedal steel guitar. About 2 months. This looks like the forum to do intros. A little about me. I live in Ohio. I am female. I am 50-something. I have a Fender S-10. I have loved the sound of a steel guitar since I seen one as a child on the black and white TV. Being single has a few advantages. I can now buy and play any instrument I can afford. I have been lurking around here for a month or so and there are some great questions and answers going on. The You Tube links are really great. I do have a teacher right now. Took a while to find one. He's great. I don't think I will ever be a professional because that isn't my goal. I just want to play well. So, anyway, I just wanted to let ya all know that I was around. Probably ask alot of questions from time to time. I promise to ignore the "man stuff" that gets in here from time to time. I see that this is a male dominated board. One last thing, I'm not blonde. :D
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Welcome from Oklahoma, Tamara!! A great place to join up and get help/ encouragment is your local steel guitar association. I believe there is a steel guitar club in Ohio, Maybe someone from your area will chime in with that info. We need more ladies in the pedal steel world---welcome!!
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

A big cornbread Howdy from us southern Buckeyes, and welcome to the forum!
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

Welcome, from South Texas.
Lee, from South Texas - Down On The Rio Grande

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat
Donny Dennis

Post by Donny Dennis »

Welcome, Tamara. I too am a beginner on the PSG. I have a Carter S-10. This is a great forum, and everyone is helpful so don't be afraid to ask questions. It is good that you have a teacher, and there are some really good instructional DVDs on the PSG by Jeff Newman, Joe Wright, and others. Also, I understand that a book by Winne Winston on the PSG provides a lot of good instruction. I ordered a copy last week so it should arrive in the next few days. Once again -- welcome, and enjoy the ride on your PSG.

Donny
Dan Burnham

Post by Dan Burnham »

Tamara,
Welcome to the family. I hope you gain as much insight as I have from being associated with this group of addicted steel pickers.
This is only instrument IMHO that you will develop a love hate relationship with, BUT you always keep coming back for more.
Welcome again,

Dan
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Welcome, Tamara! And when I say "guys" I mean gals too!
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Hi Tamara,
Welcome to the Forum, now you can become addicted to it as we are! :lol:

Larry
Carter SD/10, 4&5 Hilton Pedal, Peavey Sessions 400, Peavey Renown 400, Home Grown Eff/Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"
Brandon Ordoyne

Post by Brandon Ordoyne »

Hello Tamara,
Welcome to the forum! :) All question answers are just a post or email away! :) Dont be afraid to ask. Good luck and enjoy the forum :)

Brandon
'74 Emmons D10 P/P 8x5,'15 Rittenberry D10 8x5, Peavey Nashville 112, 400 & 1000, Fender Twin Reverb Tone Master, Hilton, Goodrich L120, Boss DD-3 and RV-3
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Welcome to this Great Forum from France Tamara
you have definitely come to the right place
yep, there's great bunch of folks here willin' to help you along the way
don't be bashful
jump on in ! :D
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Hello from Cincy!!

I like your comment "I can buy any intsrument I can afford" I know the feeling.

Email if you got questions!
David Collins

Post by David Collins »

Hi Tamara,

Welcome to the forum. A lot of great info passes here.

I will make a solemn promise to laugh at your "man" jokes as long as you promise to understand that the "girl" jokes are just that, jokes. There are enough ladies on board to join in with you and razz us guys quite a bit. (I expect we deserve some) All in good fun.

Best of luck with PSG.
David Collins
www.chjoyce.com
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Tamara, welcome from the sunny south, to "the place" for PSG. There are probably more lady steelers out there than we know, they are just not as verbal/vocal as the men here on the forum. BTW, is that "joyful noise" as unto the Lord? :)
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Tony Rankin

Post by Tony Rankin »

Welcome, from the 'burg! :)
Tony Rankin
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

Welcome, Tamara. I'm sure you'll find all the help you need with a teacher and this forum. I wouldn't want to try ot learn much about steel without this place.
HagFan
Emmons Lashley LeGrande II
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

Stan Paxton wrote:Tamara, welcome from the sunny south, to "the place" for PSG. There are probably more lady steelers out there than we know, they are just not as verbal/vocal as the men here on the forum. BTW, is that "joyful noise" as unto the Lord? :)
Ya' all are so great. Thanks for the warm welcome. I can take a joke as well as dish it out. I know how to move on to another forum if one gets a little "riske." You may find that while I pretend to have class, I am much more at home in jeans and not unfamiliar with a pint of the bitters or the best the bar as to offer.
Yes, it is joyful noise as in the lord. My main interest is country gospel. I like alot of country and folk music. I try my best to make a joyfulnoise at least, even if the playing isn't so great. I figure I can get a joyful sound from cording if I can't get the melody line. I live my life trying to find the joy in everything. I know that is not entirely possible, but much better than worrying about what I can't have or what could have been. I learned a basic Amazing grace on the steel last week. I found the tab on the internet. It's not fancy, but great to work on my "across the strings" technique. I got that on my own. My instructor has me learing Cold, Cold heart up and down the fret board. (I really like H. Williams) and that is good. I found a copy of On top of old smokey that has single notes. Good exercise for that. I just have to polish it all. I do it all with as much joy as I can muster. Everytime I sit down to practice or play, I will play a gospel song of some type, even if it is just the doxology. I never what to forget where all my blessings come from.
Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Hey Tamara, Welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum. You will find lots of steel information on here. I'm a steel player with cerebral palsy in my left hand, and I play a GFI Ultra D-10. My first steel was a little student model Emmons with three pedals and one knee. I learned to play steel by playing along with records. I still have my first steel. I have a lot of respect for ladies who play steel or any instrument. If you want to know who plays steel for a certain artist, I can tell ya.

Brett
Last edited by Brett Day on 15 Aug 2007 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Paxton
Location: 1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)

Post by Stan Paxton »

Tamara, when you get to the point of serious tab, go to the section of Tablature and posting in there often is Erv Niehaus. Brother Erv posts a free tab of the month, Gospel, and also has a library of over 200 Gospel tabs that he offers at a reasonable price. Go there and see what is happening... 8)
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Mike Perlowin

Re: Hello. New to PSG

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Tamara James wrote: I can now buy and play any instrument I can afford.
Can you afford to buy an extra one for me? :mrgreen:

Hey, welcome to the forum from Hollyweird. I invite you to fly out here next March and attend our annual Los Angeles steel jam. You can hear some of the best players from California and Arizona jamming together, and even join in if you're not too intimidated.
Please visit my web site and Soundcloud page and listen to the music posted there.
http://www.mikeperlowin.com http://soundcloud.com/mike-perlowin
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

Brett Day wrote:Hey Tamara, Welcome to the Steel Guitar Forum. You will find lots of steel information on here. I'm a steel player with cerebral palsy in my left hand, and I play a GFI Ultra D-10. My first steel was a little student model Emmons with three pedals and one knee. I learned to play steel by playing along with records. I still have my first steel. I have a lot of respect for ladies who play steel or any instrument. If you want to know who plays steel for a certain artist, I can tell ya.

Brett
Thanks, Brett.
ya know, I lived in Union, South Carolina for almost 30 years. My job brought me back to Ohio 4 years ago. I am looking to get back south someday. Ya just never know where life will take you. I get back to SC about once every 2 years to visit and pick up some groceries. I'll drop ya a line when I get back that way and maybe we can jam a little.
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

Stan Paxton wrote:Tamara, when you get to the point of serious tab, go to the section of Tablature and posting in there often is Erv Niehaus. Brother Erv posts a free tab of the month, Gospel, and also has a library of over 200 Gospel tabs that he offers at a reasonable price. Go there and see what is happening... 8)
That sounds great. I will be looking into that as soon I as get to the point I can do serious tab. That is exciting. Thanks!
Tamara James

Re: Hello. New to PSG

Post by Tamara James »

Mike Perlowin wrote:
Tamara James wrote: I can now buy and play any instrument I can afford.
Can you afford to buy an extra one for me? :mrgreen:

Hey, welcome to the forum from Hollyweird. I invite you to fly out here next March and attend our annual Los Angeles steel jam. You can hear some of the best players from California and Arizona jamming together, and even join in if you're not too intimidated.
Ya know, I got a brother in SanFrancisco...by next March..I might have 3 or 4 cords down pretty good. :D Might have to sleep in a chair on your front porch.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Ya know, I got a brother in SanFrancisco... Might have to sleep in a chair on your front porch.
Nice brother, huh? ;-)
Tamara James

Post by Tamara James »

Jim Cohen wrote:
Ya know, I got a brother in SanFrancisco... Might have to sleep in a chair on your front porch.
Nice brother, huh? ;-)
Can't say. Aint seen him in 25 years. I just know he is there. Ex-navy. I was thinking of the distance between the jam and LA and sanfran. Traveling by foot, draggin' a pedal steel could be a bit difficult...If I could mount a set of roller skate wheels under the case, use it for a skate board, maybe...but travel is expensive...if ya know what I mean.. :D
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Archie Nicol is now writing:

Welcome from sunny( :lol: ) Scotland.
This is a fine place with fine people.

Arch.